Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sealing Tips" Leaking sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 03:19 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sealing Tips" Leaking sunroof

I have a year 2000 with the dual sunroofs. Both are leaking and water is coming out of the ceiling ac vents and the sunroof controls. I have attempted to seal it 1st. with silicone , leaks persisted, 2nd. using the liquid rubber as seen on TV stuff and it looked really great and I was pretty sure that would have corrected the leak but problem is still not solved.

Any tips on how to fix this leak. I am pretty sure it is coming from the sunroofs , i don't think it can come from the quarter windows..right??

Any tips,please.

Thanks,
Gerard
Chicago

Old 05-07-2012, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The alpine windows can leak as well. But the sunroofs are famous for it. You can diagnose with a water hose around the alpine windows. The level of repair effort is quite high on sun roofs, sometimes incluidng removing the head liner, etc. The frame and seal around it is also hard to get parts for. Leading up to the el cheapo solution of silicone it shut. If you enjoy the Disco, you'll keep it so long resale value is no longer a driving force.

On the other hand, if this is a college vehicle, and you attend Loyola, need to keep the sunroof open when you drive by so they can toss in the diploma....

Old 05-07-2012, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

The alpine windows on a D2 are glued in like a modern windshield, so they are less prone to leaking than they are on a D1 which uses rubber seals like an old school windshield, that can shrink and then start to leak.

Normally for a leaky sunroof you are better off figuring out why the drains aren't keeping the water out of your interior. Could be a clogged drain. Could be a broken piece where the drain hoses attach.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default they suck

They suck, I just had my 00DII fixed. I resealed and fixed drains but still leaked. My rover guy replaced rear one and front one need a few parts and resealing. They both work perfect now. I saw them work at his shop today. The only other way way is to completely seal them with silicone permanently and will not open. But, Thats to ghetto for me....

Old 05-07-2012, 08:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

I pulled both of mine about 4 months ago and this is what I found...

The bedding coumpound that holds the plastic drain tray secure to the metal sunroof tray was shot...I COMPLETELY REMOVED THEM AND REBEDDED WITH SOME GOOD MARINE GRADE SILICONE...SEE PICS. I was able to actually wiggle the little corner plastic tray around...not after the new silicone!
On one of the trays, I also had a cracked of plastic nipple that attached to the drain line. ((haha I said nipple)) I WAS ABLE TO EPOXY IT BACK AND NO ISSUES. IF A DEALER WAS CLOSE I WOULD OF REPLACED THE ENTIRE TRAY.
While apart i was able to give the whole sunroof a good cleaning before putting them back in.
No tricks to removing them once the headliner is out of the way. The headliner will test your patience and time consuming because the molding parts that need to come off.
Things I noted...
the drain line hoses seemed to be "epoxied" onto the plastic drain nipple. If you start pulling and twisting them to hard you could crack it. A razor knife and slice it back about 1/2 inch I found did not hurt a thing and still had plenty of length for the drain line.
If water is gushing in through the sunroof it has to first get past the seal that the actual glass rests on, before it gets to the drain tray and the drain lines. get your head up there with a little mirror and make sure there is not alot of light coming in..
I have been on Vancouver Island for the winter, and we have no shortage of rain...not a leak to be found. Just hope this gives you a bit of a head start. I used the RAVE and took my time...no worries.

Attached Thumbnails Sealing Tips" Leaking sunroof-img_4332.jpg   Sealing Tips" Leaking sunroof-img_4327.jpg   Sealing Tips" Leaking sunroof-img_4329.jpg   Sealing Tips" Leaking sunroof-img_4328.jpg   Sealing Tips" Leaking sunroof-img_4326.jpg  

The following 5 users liked this post by CANAMDiscovery:
$$Ttriton$$ (03-27-2021), HuskerRover (05-08-2019), Lcagee (05-03-2020), macutan (09-27-2023), MikNik (09-11-2021)
Old 05-07-2012, 08:40 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the advice. Mine is already sealed so getting to the hose will be a challenge. I can get brand new ( whole sunroof) with motors etc for not too expensive but I want to make sure that person working on it knows how to get it down and check/ clean the hoses as well. I do not want to take it to the dealer though.

Does anyone know of a shop/ person that does this kind if work in the Chicagoland area.
Thanks
Gerard

Old 05-07-2012, 08:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default find a indy shop

Find a indy shop...there has to a few in your town....