Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Secret CDL Transfer Case?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009 | 07:46 PM
|
Three Wheeling
Wink Got some Slider Info Unfortunately it's not the burger style !

After taking a break today and calling Atlantic British on their Rock Sliders to inquire why they don't work with the Discovery II equipped ACE this is the reason they gave; on the frame rails under the front seats there is a pump for the ACE system right at one of their main mounting points.
In my 36 years of experience of pounding roller skate wheels on boards to make crazy luges with Waffle Hammers and nails as my precision tools mounting systems can pretty much be made with what ever you're comfortable with within the limits of what keeps you and your passengers safe. Although I'm sure in the vast aftermarket they're is a company with Sliders that take the ACE system into consideration that has different mounting points taking the Pump in question into consideration.
I'm starting to "see the light" Spike555. Between talking to my Wife about some of her previous Rovers (she is an avid outdoor woman) listening to what you guys are posting and watching some of the crazy videos on You Tube of the discovery I and II in various states of Tuning for "more off road prowess" I'm starting to get myself into the mind set to let a bit of air out of the tires not touch anything else and take it wheeling this weekend with the dogs and the Wife. Just as you suggested Spike555, I need to get out of the Jeep mindset of pull everything apart and wheel to just pull onto the trail and wheel;_)

Old 07-06-2009 | 09:28 PM
Team Owner

Exactly!!
We always tell people wheel it before you mod it, see what you actually need before you drop coin.
Sliders and a good set of A/T's is really abut all you need.
Most of the important stuff on a Disco is tucked up inside thr frame out of harms way, the diffs are the lowest point and they will take a beating.
And unlike a Heep the diffs are in line with one another, so if the front diff misses the stump then so will the rear.

Old 07-06-2009 | 10:07 PM
Pro Wrench

I checked out that vid and I thought the D2's were at a disadvantage by not having the CDL but in essence the traction control is a smart CDL. Cool to know, the only thing is they are electronically controlled, and we all know how reliable land rover electrical systems are.

Old 07-07-2009 | 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tweakrover
I checked out that vid and I thought the D2's were at a disadvantage by not having the CDL but in essence the traction control is a smart CDL. Cool to know, the only thing is they are electronically controlled, and we all know how reliable land rover electrical systems are.

Although Traction control is great, it will never replace CDL... installing CDL was the most important mod I could have ever done.

Old 07-07-2009 | 04:23 PM
|
Three Wheeling

I've already done what I've usually do when I purchase any used Vehicle; Tune up (in this case Mikes 60K Sticky),Tires,Brakes,Replace all Bulbs saving the remaining old working ones as spares.
I've replaced the shocks and springs with an OME HD 1.6" Kit including a front steering stabilizer from Bilstein. I carefully went through the truck from the fuel filter to the spark plug wires to make sure the PO(Dealer) at least did most of the 60K service as promised. I also added Pro Comp Extreme A/T's, I went up one shoe size with 265/75/E-16 went up a couple of sizes from stock this works out to be a 31.6 as opposed to a stock 29"-30" all season Hankooks.
Long story short. Until We Wheel the Disco on some moderate Tahoe trails we're not dropping anymore coin on her until we see What she can do just like Spike555 is Recommending. Our off road wish list is pretty short anyhow for the Xmas Tree.

Old 07-07-2009 | 06:46 PM
Team Owner

Let us know what you think after you wheel her.
And my friends call me Spike.

Old 07-09-2009 | 08:53 AM
|
Three Wheeling

Thanks Spike will do. I'll take some shots when we're out because the trails I'll be taking her on have some killer shots of Tahoe. I woke up yesterday with a temp over a 100 and swollen throat,ears,nose and the Wife (read MOMx2) is not letting me just power through it(read Blow Off The Doctor) ;_) The 13 yr old in me feels like there's as shiny new Honda XR in the drive way I'm not allowed to ride......UGH!