Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

seems to be no power to fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 02:36 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seems to be no power to fuel pump

Cranks, won't start with out starting fluid.
I have electrical test equipment (scanner, test light, and digital multimeter) but do not have much experience using them.
Test light shows power getting to the main relay and the fuel pump relay (appears that a PO had opened and resealed relay casing). I am not sure how to test if power is leaving the relays with out damaging the coating on the wires.
None of the pins on the harness at the pump show power getting there, nor which wire to add power to, to test the pump.
The Workshop manual for DISCOVERY that I down loaded (from this forums recommended link) mentioned a Discovery Electronic Trouble Shooting Manuel. Is this also a free resource available?
The ECM has been changed out by a PO.
The Inertia switch was loose from the chassis and 'clicked' when I pushed down on the central plunger.
Most of the codes (P:1193,1187,1179, and 1177) most likely are caused by a missing factory air filter case (aftermarket K&N air filter installed by PO), so the Intake air temperature sensor is just laying in the ambient air.
The other code P0138 is an O2 sensor, but that would not cause a no start issue would it.

History that may be relevant: A couple years ago when I bought the truck, when I have had issue with it starting I found a 'hot spot' at the harness to pump connection at the pump and a spliced in section of the harness where the pig tail had been replaced. Everywhere I safely put the test light I get no power back there now.

1997 Discovery SE 188,008 4.0L SFI V8i

Old 05-27-2010, 06:20 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

jump the pump to see if it works at the relay.

Its possible its the multifunction unit I believe thats what it is called. its the brown box next to the ecu under the hood.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:03 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clarification and repete request

Clarification:
"jump the pump to see if it works at the relay."

Put a 'dual splice connector' on each wire going into and out of the 'multifunction unit/the main relay and the fuel pump relay ' and systematically add an new/extra wire between one on the 'up' side and the other side on a 'down' side, or, put power to one side of a new/extra wire and touch it to a 'dual splice connector' of a wire with out response (up or down streem of relay?) to a test light?

repete request

Is a free"Discovery Electronic Trouble Shooting Manuel' resource available?