Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

self leveling system

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 04:51 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default self leveling system

driving along and the self level system indicator lights up (side view of Disc II with an up and down arrow). Was able to make it home. I shut it off and waited a few hours. after turning it back on the Disc was level and the light was off. I figured it was a fluke.
Anyway, after driving around town, the light came back on. Got back home and let the car sit. the back end is down.
Not sure where to start? Any ideas would be great.

thanks

Old 02-05-2012, 11:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle

It could be a series of issues causing it. Have you noticed the back dropping if it was sittinf for a while? It may be leaking air bags. Also your compressor could be failing and so it goes into a fault mode. You can check the bags by using soapy water around the bags and see if there are any bubbles. Youc an also get the system aired back up and unplug the compressor and valve block connectors. Then you can wait a coupke of days and see if one side droops before the other.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:26 AM
Three Wheeling

Hi

Thanks for the info.

When I first got home it was fine.
After sitting overnight and half way into the morning, the back dropped way down.
I checked the fuse and it was good.
I started the engine.
No light came on BUT then it did about a minute later.
I drove a hundred feet or so to see if it would reset. No luck there.

The back is way down.
Kinda like a lowered gangster rig now.

Would there be any air in the bags at this time. Enough to tell if they are leaking?
How would i get the system aired back up?
I see how to unplug the compressor, but not sure how to "valve block connectors"

Are there switches to do this?

Old 02-06-2012, 11:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle

The valve connectors are on the valve block and are Blue and White. You may want to try to disconnect the battery and elt it sit for a while then reconnect and it may air back up.

If the system is dropping over the night then that would possibly indicate a leaky bag. The other issue is your compressor could be dying. Has it been noisy lately?

You probably do not have enough air in there right now to see if there is any leak in the bags.

It could also be a bad connection somewhere. When going through all this use electrical cleaner and also then put some dielectric grease on the connections.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:05 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Do Not under any circumstance disconnect your battery to make something better, all you are going to do is allow many of the ECU to loose their adaptive memory which will then take hours of driving to relearn.
As for the suspension issue, PM me your number and I'll walk you thru what to check and do.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:18 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default self leveling is not coming back up

I have the same problem, do you think that the relay could be the problem? Or can I use another relay from the box ? I noticed that they have different # but I just want to know if I can do that. I haved go to every thing out but nothing has work so far I even check the ECU and replaced for a new one and still not working as well the compressor I bench test it an is working fine. So if you have any ideas please let me know. Thanks

Old 05-11-2015, 06:06 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yank the airbags out and put new coil springs in. Take out the compressor. Drive the care forever without problems with the air suspension. Problem solved!

Old 05-11-2015, 06:26 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Or you could replace the bags that have lasted well over ten years with new ones