Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Separating Transmission from Engine Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 11:36 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Separating Transmission from Engine Questions

I have a 2004 Disco2 with a ZF-24 transmission bolted to the 4.6L and I have everything taken apart and ready to separate it..

1. How many bolts hold the engine and bell-housing together?? If I know the count, I can better gauge my progress..

2. How can I access the shifter linkage on top of the transmission?? does the center console inside the truck come off where I can access the trans from the top??

3. Are the bolts accessible to the top of the bell-housing?? I don't have an engine hoist remove or lower the engine down..

4. How does the Flex Plate and Torque converter bolt together?? The inspection plate doesn't seem nearly big enough to get in with a to bolt them together..

Thanks guys.. this is a slow process since I'm doing it alone without much free time

Old 09-21-2013, 04:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. "37. Remove 14 bolts securing gearbox to engine."

2. Linkage is on the side of the trans I believe

3. No idea, never done it, but from the rave image there are only 2 way up in there so it shouldn't be terrible (it is made to be removed that way so I cant see why they'd make it impossible to get to"

4.Again no idea, never had to do this yet (hopefully never) though from what I gather there is enough room in there just need to rotate the FW while keeping the converter still and you'll be all set.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:54 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Haha thanks.. Of the 29 views, you were the only one to reply... I guess everyone else looked like a deer in the headlights..
I thought maybe more people had attempted this on their own... I guess I will forge on and see what happens.. worst case scenario.. I have to take it to a shop..

Old 09-22-2013, 06:29 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The workshop manual has step by step instructions.
If you don't have it, there's a link here: RAVE download

Last edited by antichrist; 09-22-2013 at 06:42 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:11 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. The center console can be easily removed. The shifter handle pulls off. You can get the bolts on top of the bell housing with a flex socket and a long extension. It helps to have a helper on top of the motor as it is hard to see the bolts from underneath.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:25 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

pull the motor mounts and let the motor rest on a floor jack you can then reach the bolts on the top of the bell housing everything else is pretty straight forward

Old 09-26-2013, 01:40 PM
2nd Gear

I just did this, removed the ZF on a TDI in a few days taking it easy. Some of those bolts are tricky. The torque converter, yes sir. In fact, mine were loctited by prev owner plus the 50nm recomended torque, removal through those holes risked rounding after slippages galore.... so after talking around... i left the torque converter on and attacked it after the auto was dropped. Much easier then, and if your replacing the torque converter anyhow, no big deal with realignment. Well, I am hoping. New gearbox from ashcrofts in the UK arrived today. I removed the TC and saw the flex plate bolted on the backside was a little bent. Not much, but is it a big deal to leave as is? I dont see them regularly on any common parts suppliers.... im thinking they are not normally replaced. Any thoughts anyone?

Old 09-27-2013, 06:23 AM
2nd Gear

Further to that, after talking with David Ashcroft of Ashcroft transmissions in the UK; he suggested to change out the flex plate if bent - they are prone to snap and a bent plate is a weak plate. The part can be had for 8 pounds plus postage from island 4x4 in the uK. Does not seem worth the risk.

Originally Posted by gofose
I just did this, removed the ZF on a TDI in a few days taking it easy. Some of those bolts are tricky. The torque converter, yes sir. In fact, mine were loctited by prev owner plus the 50nm recomended torque, removal through those holes risked rounding after slippages galore.... so after talking around... i left the torque converter on and attacked it after the auto was dropped. Much easier then, and if your replacing the torque converter anyhow, no big deal with realignment. Well, I am hoping. New gearbox from ashcrofts in the UK arrived today. I removed the TC and saw the flex plate bolted on the backside was a little bent. Not much, but is it a big deal to leave as is? I dont see them regularly on any common parts suppliers.... im thinking they are not normally replaced. Any thoughts anyone?