Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Engine flashing...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 08:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Service Engine flashing...

Got the truck few days ago,
Filled up with 93 and 2 bottles of techron injector cleaner based on the high reviews i read on here.
Just now the truck started to run like crap while driving, for a moment I thought it will leave me on the side of the road
Stopped by auto zone and they plug the reader:

P0134
P0300
P0305
P0307
P1300
P1590
P1668

I was thinking and researching about the best parts for tuneups, just to do it since we just got the truck and want to make sure we take good care of it.
Now I have no clue if that will solve the problem/s or will make it worse?
Any help with the codes will be great.
Is it possible that the cleaner is just moving a lot of crap?
help please
Thanks

Old 01-06-2016, 08:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Did you clear the codes and see which ones return on restart?

The 0300 + 030X's are misfires on 5 and 7, which I can imagine could be linked to an injector cleaning thing. Maybe.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:25 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks for the fast response!
cleared the codes except the P1590
Truck ran good for about 20 mins, or until we got to where we were meeting with friends.
We spent about 2 hours together ( so the truck cooled down ) and as soon as we started the truck to go home, it was acting up again!
Service Engine started to flash and the truck ran very VERY rough. drove after about 5 minutes ( engine reached normal temp) the light stopped flashing and we drove home just fine.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Quick search says 1590 is wheel speed sensor. Is there a chance this was always there and not related to the others?

I'm not so sure about the misfires coming back. Do you have a code reader so can read them while it's running rough? Try and narrow down what is causing the roughness. Common sense says it's the misfires, but you need to be certain.

If it is the injector cleaning I would imagine it would gradually clean up. But someone else will chime in with more specific experience.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

I believe the 1590 is the generic ABS code and you need an ABS reader to get the specific code.

I suppose the injector cleaner is possible, though immediately after fill up seems unlikely. Still, possible and not to be ruled out. That said, do NOT keep driving it as is. Misfires cause one of two issues: If its running too rich and causing a misfire or you've lost spark causing the misfire, you will kill one or both expensive catalytic converters. If you've got a clogged injector or fuel line causing it to run lean, you could seriously damage the engine such as (in extreme cases) melting a piston. Pull all the spark plugs and see what they look like. They should have a black/yellow/white/red residue or any combination there of. Tell us which cylinders look like what, specifically the two that are misfiring most importantly, and that will give us a better idea what's going on.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Also, the 0134 is an O2 sensor code. The upstream bank 1 sensor I believe. That could definitely be part of the problem. Rock Auto and Amazon seem to have the best prices, only use genuine Bosch (coming from someone who has tried the cheapies), replace the left and right at the same time. Of course, make sure it's plugged in before springing for a new one, but the chances of it coming unplugged are slim, and the fact that it runs more rough on initial start up definitely supports the O2 theory. It's entirely likely that the heater circuit isn't working at all, so the sensor is frozen until it is heated up by exhaust gasses.

The 1668 appears to be an anti-theft system fault. Most likely unrelated.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Also, the 0134 is an O2 sensor code. The upstream bank 1 sensor I believe. That could definitely be part of the problem. Rock Auto and Amazon seem to have the best prices, only use genuine Bosch (coming from someone who has tried the cheapies), replace the left and right at the same time. Of course, make sure it's plugged in before springing for a new one, but the chances of it coming unplugged are slim, and the fact that it runs more rough on initial start up definitely supports the O2 theory. It's entirely likely that the heater circuit isn't working at all, so the sensor is frozen until it is heated up by exhaust gasses.

The 1668 appears to be an anti-theft system fault. Most likely unrelated.
This is what I would go with. Mine is doing same thing. Its runs rough like an old carbed truck leaves black circle on ground. Once warm it runs decent. I have ordered 4 o2s and a tune up kit. I would prob start with the bad 02.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:03 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

RF,

Here's a link to download manuals......http://www.landroverresource.com/rave.zip

Save them all, they come in handy.

Open rave-lr, click on Discovery II to open D2 Library, open Workshop Manual. Use the PDF search function and enter code #s individually.

First search result for P1590 for instance is below, gives you code description and a few clues to use if you're a troubleshooter. Took me all of a couple of minutes to bring up the info.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Manual Help.pdf (77.2 KB, 358 views)
Old 01-07-2016, 05:41 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

stop driving it until you find the cause of the misfiring

Old 01-07-2016, 08:57 PM
Rock Crawling

thanks for all the replies.
Made it home fine.
Was scratching my head today thinking what else could I have done that can caused "the issues"?
Well perhaps this may sound abnormal, but the only thing I didn't mention is the fact that I fully was the truck. Fired up the pressure washer and washed under the carriage and the motor.
Never had a problem with this before, but I heard that some gas motor can be susceptible to contact with water, is this the case with the disco II? Could this had cause issues?

Quick Reply: Service Engine flashing...