Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

service engine light on

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 07:05 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: service engine light on

As for the top end of the engine you can carefully use GUM CUTTER, which you can puck up at the auto parts store, or any carb cleaner. Spray cleaner around intake manifold and vacuum lines. Dont overdo it. Spray over the areas and listen for the idle speed to pick up, if it does at any time, narrow down the area you sprayed and look for leaks. Lines, gaskets or anything that would allow air to be drawn into the engine, outside of the factory parts.Aslo listen for a whistling or sucking sound.As for the exhaust leak. Does your truck have a constant tick while running? Take a good look at the exhaust manifolds to see if there is any obvious leaks. Its best to look for leaks in the exhaust when the motor is cold, try to not let it get warm as you move from one side of the engine to the other. Get back to use if you dont find any leaks.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Drifting

I can do that.if I find the leak and fix it will the light go out or do I need to reset it ? Any chance that Ihave some bad gas ?Seems strange that this would all ofa sudden happen

Old 02-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Drifting

I dont believe it is a exhaust manifold issue. I have changed many exhaust manifolds and headers and know the tickingsound , I really dont want to take it to the dealer , it is 50 miles one way and they think that everyone is loaded, dont mean to offend anyone. I had a 97 disco and the dealer just pounded me for everthing , This time I am trying to learn moreabout my truck and try to fix as much as Ican by myself . I have a 1952 Doge power wagon and you can fix most of the engine with a few tools ,

Old 02-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

ORIGINAL: Earl Callow

Mike , I just took it to Autozone ,the ran a check and it said emssions . Pretty vague , any ideas ?
90% plus of all check engine fault codes is emission related. I told you top ask specifically for the actual 4 digit fault codes, with out them, you might as well wait till your engine shuts down and you are now into the reallt, well known Rover expenses.
Go back and try again.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Drifting

P1412 , P1415

Old 02-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I went thru 4 different areas trying to find those codes, and I thought I had them all. OH well, I don't know where to point you on these, I will do some more searching.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

P1415
Land Rover
Secondary air system fault bank 2Drive cycle D:Signal implausible
p1412 is bank 1

Mike, you need to bookmark this site: http://www.iequus.com/support/obd2_definitions.php

I don't know much about the 2ndary air system. If you search for those codes on different land rover sites, I'm sure you will find something. http://www.discoweb.org/forums/showt...ighlight=p1415

Old 02-11-2009, 08:49 PM
Mudding

i appologize, i didnt see the 1 and got mixed up at what i was looking for. 2ndary air is used at start-up to add fresh air in the exhaust, pre cat to aid in catalytic converter warm-up.Does your sticker under the hoodsay AIR, foremission equip?

Old 02-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Drifting

looked at the stickers ,only thing that is big is the word Catalitic,what doI need to be looking at , where is the pump?I looked at the link that was posted about the vacuum line breaking off , where do Ineed to be looking?

Old 02-11-2009, 09:12 PM
Drifting

is this a easyfix? can a good mechanic fix this or isit a dealerfix?

Quick Reply: service engine light on