Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Service Engine Soon", Small EVAP Leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 09:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy "Service Engine Soon", Small EVAP Leak

Hello, I have had my Land Rover Discovery II SE for about 3-4 weeks. In that time it has run great, no problems. Since I purchased it, I haven't really driven a LONG distance just 15-30 mile trips. Yesterday, I was late getting home and stopped to get fuel. They were out of premium and midgrade--all they had was regualar. I knew I was supposed to run Prem. in it, but I was afraid I wouldn't make it back to the fuel station, so I only put in a couple gallons of regular. Today, I stopped at a different fuel station and filled it up with Premium-93oct, then left for a trip. I was coming back from the longer-than-usual trip (70-100 miles roundtrip) and the service engine light came on. I stopped at Advance Auto Parts on the way home, and had them pull the codes. It read a "Small Leak in the EVAP Emissions system" and some kind of auxilary outlets fault (weird). I had them reset the light and I checked the gas cap and it was fine. I'm guessing the auxilary fault was for the cigarette lighter which I had my phone plugged into (but I don't usually use it). I'm guessing that was just a fluke or something. Any ideas? The car is running absolutely normal.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:26 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

"some kind of auxilary outlets fault" isn't enough information to help you. What was the code number?

No, it wasn't the cigarette lighter.

As far as the evap leak, were you below 1/2 tank of fuel after a 100 mile trip? As far as my understanding of a code that could be described as what you said, the test isn't run until 1/2 tank or less. So what was the actual code number for that?

Old 05-22-2011, 10:01 PM
Three Wheeling

I understand that, I'm not worried about that one. The guy at advance said cigarrete lighter--I'm not surprised he waswrong. I am worried about the EVAP Leak. The Tank was low with the fuel light on, on friday night, when I put a couple of gallons of regular in. This morning, I stopped and filled the tank the rest of the way up with premium 93 octane fuel. When I got back this afternoon, there was 1/2 tank or a little more left. The light came on on the way back with like 3/4 left though. I don't know the actual code number, I should've written it down. It was like P10450 or something. If the light comes back on, I'll get the actual code.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:11 AM
Winching

is your gas cap on all the way?

Old 05-24-2011, 06:00 PM
Three Wheeling

Yeah, I checked as soon as the light came on. It was on as tight as it could be. I had the light turned off and it still hasn't come back on, so maybe it won't.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:02 PM
Three Wheeling

My engine started knocking .I got my oil changed for the first time yesterday. I have no idea what was in it previously, but I had rotella 15w-40 put in and now my engine knocks! Listen to it. Why???YouTube - ‪DIscovery II Engine Knocking‬‏

Old 06-03-2011, 06:03 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

if the code was 1450 it's an EVAP code. Leakage Detection Module failure:Signal implausible. go buy yourself a cheap ODB2 reader on ebay or amazon they are like $25, don't ever listen to anyone at autozone. just get the 4 digits and come back to us.

do you have tools? i see you have a driveway. you are going to need to learn to work on this rig yourself or you are going to go broke quick (unless you have deep pockets).

have the head gaskets been done on your truck by the previous owner? i would start by dropping the bottom end and looking for problems there. could be all mucked up maybe someone sloppy put rtv to seal the pan.... worst case it could be a liner but i would start with easy things first to rule them out.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:23 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So you've had it for a few weeks. This is your first oil change.

Where did you buy it from?

Maybe it's just me, but I would be thinking that someone covered up a low oil pressure issue with some 60 weight when you bought it. Now you've put the proper weight oil in and you can hear it.

Hilltoper has a good idea s well - it could be as simple as a crudded up pickup screen. I doubt it's a liner, because even gear oil in the crank case isn't going to mask that sound.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:42 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by DarylJ
So you've had it for a few weeks. This is your first oil change.

Where did you buy it from?

Maybe it's just me, but I would be thinking that someone covered up a low oil pressure issue with some 60 weight when you bought it. Now you've put the proper weight oil in and you can hear it.

Hilltoper has a good idea s well - it could be as simple as a crudded up pickup screen. I doubt it's a liner, because even gear oil in the crank case isn't going to mask that sound.
I bought it from a dealership in Nashville. I did notice that it had a purolator oil filter when I looked under it before taking it to lightning lube. Does that mean anything? Doesn't seem like something a lube place would put on. If they covered up a low oil pressure issue than I guess I'll take it to a foreign garage who knows what they're talking about. Is it still ok to drive?

Old 06-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
if the code was 1450 it's an EVAP code. Leakage Detection Module failure:Signal implausible. go buy yourself a cheap ODB2 reader on ebay or amazon they are like $25, don't ever listen to anyone at autozone. just get the 4 digits and come back to us.

do you have tools? i see you have a driveway. you are going to need to learn to work on this rig yourself or you are going to go broke quick (unless you have deep pockets).

have the head gaskets been done on your truck by the previous owner? i would start by dropping the bottom end and looking for problems there. could be all mucked up maybe someone sloppy put rtv to seal the pan.... worst case it could be a liner but i would start with easy things first to rule them out.
I have driven the car over 300 miles since the light was on and it still hasn't come back on. If it does, I'll be sure to get back to you with the code, I just thought it might be related? But EVAP to knocking doesn't seem likely

Quick Reply: "Service Engine Soon", Small EVAP Leak