Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Service Engine Soon", Small EVAP Leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 05:34 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2003 Discovery 2 owner.

I got the 1450 code for quite a while. Everyone goes straight to the gas cap. I replaced it, I did this, I did that, still the code would pop.

Look into this:
1. Do you ever smell radiator coolant when you get out or has anyone mentioned smelling it? What I found is the overflow expansion tank cracks at the bottom. This, in my vehicle, was due to the front metal bracket for the lip to slide into was too short. It took replacing 3 tanks before I discovered this. A stress fracture occurs due to the slight bend created. It is nearly invisible. Add the engine heat and it's just a matter of time. In fact, within 2 -4 weeks each time the light would come on and the 1450 code would pop again. I'm not saying that's the only reason for a 1450 but it was my problem.

Solution: Take an old mouse pad or bicycle inner tube and cut 2 pieces slightly larger than the bracket and lay them over the metal bracket. I used contact cement to secure them to the bracket and each other. That was a year ago. No issues since!

2. Where the black air intake tunel from the air filter attaches to the plenum, on the underside, there is a small plate used to inject heated water into a jacket for improving cold weather running. Every LR dealer tech told me it's one of their worse problems. A pinhole size leak can develop at this location. I found this is due to the gasket failing. I think it is a poor design using 3 screws in a triangular pattern rather than 4 in a square.

When you replace it use gasket sealer or ATV silicone with the gasket. I did all these myself, not paying a fortune for such simple items. It seems LR owners must use ingenuity to avoid high repair bills and I'm a bookwork financial analyst. If I can, you can!

Last edited by Deserounus; 09-04-2013 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 09-04-2013, 06:44 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Evap is probably the gas cap was not tight. Reset the code and try again.

For the oil - The Rotella you put in is probably too thin.
Plus you probably put in synthetic.

I would put in thick non - synthetic - 20w - 50 or so until winter hits.

Your knock is probably loose main or rod bearings which have a little play.
The knock is not constant - right ? Sort of random.
That is probably a main bearing that is a bit loose.

You can pull the pan and replace all those yourself.

The thick oil will cushion the gap and you will not hear the random thunk so often.