Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service in Savannah, GA

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 03:20 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service in Savannah, GA

Hi,

I have a 2001 Discovery with 108k. I've owned the car for 6 years and am moving to Savannah, GA at the end of August. Is there anyone from Savannah or the surrounding area that can recommend a shop for service?

Thanks,

Chad

Old 07-11-2011, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Nearby dealer is just across the river in the Hilton Head area. There are plenty of shops in Savannah, but I do my own work on mine, and have avoided the stealerships for a number of years. At the office I have a dozen or so trucks and cars, we use Savannah Tire, a local chain (all types of service) with about eight shops, fair price, good on warranty. Have used other indy shops over the last 10 years and settled on these guys. I may get a little better treatment as a mini-fleet, but I can't complain. I do see a Defender from time to time at the Savannah Tire in Pooler. You will also find two good sized self-serve salvage yards, Cash & Carry and LKQ. There is also a Harbor Freight. If you need radiator service, Gary's out in Statesboro is good and priced right.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:58 AM
Overlanding

Thanks for the tips. I don't really want to take it to the dealership, so it's nice to hear you've had some good experience with Savannah Tire.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:40 AM
1st Gear
Default Head gasket

Hey savannah buzz, u ever replaced head gaskets. I'm decently mechanicly inclined but have never done a head gasket job. I have used savannah tire in the past on previous vehicles and have been ripped off by them. So don't want to take it to them for this job. Wanting to do it myself but just nervous. I have a 2000 discovery.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I have not had that experience with them, either for my own vehicles or a dozen plus at the office. But they are not the cheapest. Have not done HG yet on Disco (have done some others: Honda CRX and Audi 5000 and Isuzu IMark), but it is on the horizon. Don't be nervous. Look over Eric Tyrell's posts ,which have lots of photos of what to expect. Saul's Cylinder Head on Ogeechhe Road would be a source for machine shop work for the heads. Look at the overhaul manual part of the RAVE.

LKQ on Hwy 80 has a black 2000 Disco that will hit the yard in the next few days. Was not driven in.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:50 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Salty,
I did my HG's on my '04 about 11 months ago. I live in Bluffton, so not too far from you in Sav. if you have any questions or need some moral support. I was scared to death about the SAI and all that, but once I started it wasn't bad at all. I also have all the special tools if you need them. John