Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

She wont start or will she?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 07:47 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default She wont start or will she?

She wont start or will she is the game this new to me 2002 Discovery and I are playing. I recently picked this Disco up not running but had been the day before I went top view it. I assumed it was a CPS and planed on replacing it today but when I went out to the truck I used the key in the door lock to unlock it. Got in turned the key to run heard some odd to me clicking like the hazards where on but they where not. Turned the key to start she fired right up very quickly no excessive cranking running very smoothly. I let it run while walking around checking the lights etc before road testing it. It was up to temp I had heat clearing condensation from inside on the windshield. Then it just shut off with the key on. I say shut off because it did not stutter or hesitate or buck it was like the key was turned off. So smooth that didn't notice it until I sat back in the driver seat and realized it was not running. Tried to restart its cranking good hard and fast but its like shes got no spark. I'm assuming no spark because I tried some starter fluid the day I bought it to see if it was a fuel issue and it behaved the same.

When I released the key from the crank position I got 7 clicks(sounds like the hazards) coming from what sounds like under the instrument cluster. Its consistent right now I put the key in turn it to run I get 7 bells when they stop I crank wont catch release the key I get 7 clicks. I think the truck is trying to tell me something just not sure what. I tried the key in the door again setting the alarm and disarming it thinking that shes immobilized but that has only worked once so far.

Anyone got some suggestions as to what the clicking might be or do you know if 7 bells before starting is normal?

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-01-2019, 10:19 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Check your battery connection and grounds.

Old 11-01-2019, 10:51 AM
Three Wheeling

Jason, Thank you for the response. The Battery is new and the connections are clean. The clicking that I mentioned that sounds like the hazards is coming from under the dash when the key is in the run position not start so its not like its the starter solenoid clicking on a dead battery if that's what you where thinking. She cranks hard and fast and the better got a nice charge this morning when she did run for a few minutes. I'm stating to wonder if its the BCU acting up that's immobilizing the truck. Wondering if anyone that's had an immobilized truck recognizes the sound I'm trying to describe as being related.

Old 11-01-2019, 12:11 PM
Three Wheeling

Here's a slight update. I left the truck locked with the alarm on red light on the dash blinking every 2 seconds or so. Went out to try the 1515 EKA code to see if I could make some sort of progress. I unlocked the truck before attempting the EKA code got it it started right up. Then ran for about 3-4 minutes and shut itself off..... Same as this morning it had been siting locked for a few days I unlocked it with the key it started right up and ran for a few then shut itself off. I will search the forum but wanted to post an update in case this rings any bells.

Old 11-01-2019, 01:17 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,178 Likes on 815 Posts

Could be the anti theft/inertia switch function, it turns the fuel pump off. I added the page from the 04 owners manual as an attachment.

Also download the rave and read the security section there are a few things that can cause this kind of problem.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
cutoff switch.pdf (126.0 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by Richard Gallant; 11-01-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:26 PM
Mudding
Received 160 Likes on 73 Posts

Did you go ahead and do the CPS? Your symptoms sound just like what one of my rovers was doing. One day it would start fine, next day no go. Once running might go for 10 minutes and shut off - might go 40 minutes. Replaced CPS and it's been fine since.

Old 11-01-2019, 02:05 PM
Three Wheeling

I don't think its the inertia switch as the truck will start once in awhile. then stop running in 3-4 minutes.

I was ready to install the CPS but when it started this morning and then a second time a few hours later I felt like the CPS must be working because it it was shutting off almost on a timer 3-4 minutes after I would think that its something else maybe the BCU . i hate to spend the $50 on the part and time to put it in without a little more insight into that clicking noise I hear when I turn the key to run. Maybe I will go pull the glove box and put eyes on the BCU and see if thats whats making the clicking. Its not a normal sound for a discovery.

Old 11-01-2019, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

If the alarm has immobilized it = it will not start & then just stop. It will not start period no click no engine turning over nada zip nothing.

The following 2 users liked this post by Best4x4:
JT Armstrong (12-05-2019), Richard Gallant (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 04:19 PM
Three Wheeling

Yeah so now I'm back to CPS . I got it running a third time today. runs super smooth. This time I held a high idle about 4 minutes into that the engine tried to cut out but a varied the RMP and she kept running. Realy like an electrical cut out. I did that off and on for about minute and then let it idle and it cut out and would not restart.

So I guess the CPS is working then not then working and maybe that's the issue. Seems theirs only one way to find out.

Its been awhile since I did one on a disco. I believe I can do it without dropping the exhaust. Any tips for disconnecting the plug?

Old 11-02-2019, 11:46 AM
Mudding
Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I had no issue doing the cps on my 01 from below with the exhaust in. Tight space for sure but doable, I fought with the electrical for a bit before i realised it was very easy to reach from above looking down with a good light.

Quick Reply: She wont start or will she?