Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock Advise

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 11:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 159 Likes on 112 Posts

None of those issues exist with 3" coils. It's been well documented. Only people that bring up those issues are ones that have no experience with 3" coils.

Let's not talk about coils anymore. The OP is keeping score and he's not thrilled that we weren't able to stay on topic.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:08 PM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought a set of 4 used OME nitros with +2 coils and it feels like a new truck. All for 300 bucks. Im lovin it!

Old 02-10-2017, 12:43 AM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Question fellas, I've noticed with my 2" lift (Terrafirma) on my D2 it's been getting a rough ride. Now this lift is the HD version. Do I have any options to smooth out the ride by either grabbing a new set of coils, or shocks? Are the coils providing the lift while the shocks provide the ride quality, in a nutshell? I'm fairly new to wrenching on my truck. thanks fellas

Old 02-10-2017, 08:45 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm leaning towards building my own lower shock mounts for the front, and altering my new turrets to accept 1/2" bolts. I get a decent discount off King Shocks as it is, and may pick a set of 2.0 Smoothies for the front and rear. These will have a 23" extended length, and that's about 1" shorter than the Terrafirma's that I currently have. The collapsed length is about 15", and that's pretty close to where I am now. Getting the valving right for these will take time, but King's are pretty easy to adjust.

I'll do some more research over the weekend, and hopefully have my mind made up by Monday.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:08 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I have lower sets for $25 that work with 1/2" bolts.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:29 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
I have lower sets for $25 that work with 1/2" bolts.
I may pick these up from you. Do you have a picture or are they the RTE ones? If you want to shoot me a PM with the details feel free.

Last edited by Mstudt; 02-10-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:23 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Mstudt
I may pick these up from you. Do you have a picture or are they the RTE ones? If you want to shoot me a PM with the details feel free.
They're RTE replicas, all new/unpainted.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:32 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Any ideas on what you are looking at shockwise now? Interested to see what you went with so I can have something to compare to.

Old 02-12-2017, 10:00 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Mstudt
I'm leaning towards building my own lower shock mounts for the front, and altering my new turrets to accept 1/2" bolts. I get a decent discount off King Shocks as it is, and may pick a set of 2.0 Smoothies for the front and rear. These will have a 23" extended length, and that's about 1" shorter than the Terrafirma's that I currently have. The collapsed length is about 15", and that's pretty close to where I am now. Getting the valving right for these will take time, but King's are pretty easy to adjust.

I'll do some more research over the weekend, and hopefully have my mind made up by Monday.
D2 towers can be modified very easily. Run a half inch drill bit through the upper mount and it will now accept a normal shock. You will want to make sure the body of the shock doesn't interfere with the shock turret.

You should cycle your suspension and measure to get the right shock length.
The advantage of Bilstein is they have short body shocks that allow for shorter compressed length.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:20 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
Any ideas on what you are looking at shockwise now? Interested to see what you went with so I can have something to compare to.
I'm making a call tomorrow to discuss King and Radflo shocks. I may make another call the GBR to hear what they have to say about Bilstein.

Originally Posted by fishEH
D2 towers can be modified very easily. Run a half inch drill bit through the upper mount and it will now accept a normal shock. You will want to make sure the body of the shock doesn't interfere with the shock turret.

You should cycle your suspension and measure to get the right shock length.
The advantage of Bilstein is they have short body shocks that allow for shorter compressed length.
I've been waiting to install my new towers, and I think they'll only 1/16" off as it is. Since I'll be going with 2.0 smooth body's I shouldn't have any issues with them rubbing.

Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to cycle it since we don't have the springs yet. I plan on ordering the springs, and shocks all at the same time too. So we'll see how it turns on.

Quick Reply: Shock Advise