Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock Advise

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 08:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

I've been emailing Erik with lucky 8 back and forth and my only issue with Great Basin rovers was their 3" ome was 2" springs then spacers and that's not my cup of tea. Lucky8 has the actual 3" ome springs and shocks and I think I'm going with the 3" ome springs with the fox shocks just because of the extra travel with the fox shock and I can play around with front end to get the vehicle level with the added weight of everything.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:02 PM
Pro Wrench

I'll also add that I got from a reliable source whom I won't name so please don't ask they they refuse to do business with rte due to the quality of the workmanship they have had recently so they are no longer in my equation

Old 02-14-2017, 08:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
I'll also add that I got from a reliable source whom I won't name so please don't ask they they refuse to do business with rte due to the quality of the workmanship they have had recently so they are no longer in my equation
Respect your decision as it seems you have done tremendous research. Can you elaborate on the quality issue? I have had two sets with no sagging and whatever they finish the coils with is bullet proof. In ran a set for years and when I took them off to go with RTE 3" I wiped the old set down and they looked brand new, I mean not even worn on the ends, I was truly astonished.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Are the 3" OME springs just the heavy spring rate or are they a separate part number for a longer spring?

When I was researching OME's I could only find 3 part numbers for the front Springs and 4 for the rear. All of which were for an advertised 2" lift, varying in stiffness from light to heavy.

Old 02-15-2017, 01:19 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Frank4
Respect your decision as it seems you have done tremendous research. Can you elaborate on the quality issue? I have had two sets with no sagging and whatever they finish the coils with is bullet proof. In ran a set for years and when I took them off to go with RTE 3" I wiped the old set down and they looked brand new, I mean not even worn on the ends, I was truly astonished.
it wasn't the coils that were the issues, it was the other products with horrible welds and just bad craftsmanship and workmanship. That's what I was shown and told why that indivual no longer does business with them. I can't speak for the springs, just the other products

Old 02-15-2017, 01:26 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
Are the 3" OME springs just the heavy spring rate or are they a separate part number for a longer spring?

When I was researching OME's I could only find 3 part numbers for the front Springs and 4 for the rear. All of which were for an advertised 2" lift, varying in stiffness from light to heavy.
not sure. You would have to call a vendor to find out. I called lucky8 and they said they have actual 3" hd ome spring and gbr had 2" with 1" spacer to make 3" ome. Thought it was a little weird one vendor can get em and the other can't

Old 02-15-2017, 11:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm betting gbr is selling the soft or medium spring rate with a 1" spacer. I think the case with the 3" OME springs is that they achieve a 3" lift with a factory curb weight but are meant to achieve a 2" lift when the vehicle is Laden with heavy bumpers, winch, roof rack, etc.

I think OME intended all of their Springs to achieve a 2" lift under the surcumstances of their intended use. I.e. their soft springs will gain you 2" with zero extra weight. Their mediums will achieve 2" with light bumpers or a loaded roof rack but will sit at about stock height if loaded with heavy bumpers, winch, etc.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:20 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
Lol...I wonder who that could have been...

Their concerns would not have been with their springs, by the way, as they are not made in house.

Old 02-15-2017, 04:41 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Lol...I wonder who that could have been...

Their concerns would not have been with their springs, by the way, as they are not made in house.
move heard nothing but good stuff about their springs