Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock Replacement and Sun Roof Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Shock Replacement and Sun Roof Help!!!

The sunroofs on disco 1's are worthless garbage. It's not worth replacing b/c of the cost of the sunroof/labor/diy. If your headliner is sagging b/c of leaks, take it out, get it recovered, and while your have access to the sunroof assemblies, take them out, run a bead of clear silicone around the roof, put it all back together and pull the fuses for the sunroofs. You'll never have to worry about it again.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:21 AM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Shock Replacement and Sun Roof Help!!!

I am starting to agree with you. My front sun roof is messing up now!! But, the positive thing is that neither sun roof leaks. After taking the Disco to the car wash, I pulled my headliner down a bit to take a peak and it was dry. No leaks is a good thing.I actually thought about doing what you suggested. Thanks for the advice.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:47 PM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sun Roof Help!!!

You will need to remove your Headliner Board in order to do any repair on your Sunroof

Your Discovery's Sunroof only has 2 drain tubes per Sunroof Unlike a Range Rover which has 4 drain tubes per Roof.

In order to remove the Glass or Replace a Rail Kit on a Discovery your Headliner Board will need to be out of the way in order to remove the Lower Tub Assembly to access your Rail Guides, retractible Sunshades or just removing the Glass or Re-Seal the Sunroof and all repairs are done from the bottom.

Range Rovers Sunroofs repairs are all done from the top by removing the glass

If you have one side working and the other side is draging it would be best to repalce both L/R Rail Kits

Discovery Sunroof Guide Assembly Set

Discovery I | '94 - '99
Discovery Series II | '99 - '04

Runs about $110 for a set to repair both sides.

Its a easy fix compared to a complete Sunroof repalcment, Landrover gets close to $900 for a New Roof, they are accessible for about $625 Complete if you need one.

As for Leaking the bigest problem with the Landrover Discovery Sunroofs is that the Sunroof outter Plastic Trim Ring which is mounted on the out side of the Metal RoofWarpes with age and does not allow the Glass to lay flush on the Rubber Seal and water comes in,unfortunately Landrover does not sell just the trim ring alone you must buy the whole roof to resolve this problem.

Also in most cases when you have a Sunroof Issues your most likly also going to be replacing your Headliner Material at the same time.

Hope all this helps in some way

Please feel free ask any Questions I will do my best to answer your Questions for you. Bill

Old 03-31-2008, 07:22 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks a lot of the help Bill. I went to your website and will be ordering a set of the sun roof rails in the near future. My rear sunroof is doing exactly what you described. One side works and the other is stuck. We had a very hard rain here today and neither sunroof leaked, so that's a plus. Do you have any tips on the best way to get the headboard down?

Drew

Old 03-31-2008, 10:22 PM
Mudding

Bill, is the Discovery headliner material you sell an improvement over the stock O.E.M. material?