Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shocks which ones are good?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 06:37 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going for the gold...

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
AK is just foolowing our goverments lead.
I am going to get the OME I found a set for 700 delivered, lots of finger work (like leg work but much easier). If AK can follow the governments spending plan who am I not too? Its only a $100 over so thats like 3 pints of blood at the blood bank, I'll just drink alot of water between the banks.. Thanks everone for the input.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:07 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Good for you. You'll love the OME suspension. Where did you order it from? Did you go heavy or medium duty springs and shocks?

Old 03-27-2009, 10:29 AM
Mudding

Ahhh I forgot the blood bank.. good idea,,, I got carpal tunnel and tennis elbow paying for my Fuel pump...

Old 03-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco TN
I am going to get the OME I found a set for 700 delivered, lots of finger work (like leg work but much easier). If AK can follow the governments spending plan who am I not too? Its only a $100 over so thats like 3 pints of blood at the blood bank, I'll just drink alot of water between the banks.. Thanks everone for the input.
Before you go ordering parts, which coils and shocks are you wanting, there are 4 of them and with a winch, you want only the HD cols, like the 751 front coils, 762 rear coils.
Don't forget to order a new steering stabilizer.i

Old 03-27-2009, 03:57 PM
Drifting
Talking Thanks Mike !!!

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Before you go ordering parts, which coils and shocks are you wanting, there are 4 of them and with a winch, you want only the HD cols, like the 751 front coils, 762 rear coils.
Don't forget to order a new steering stabilizer.i
Mike Thanks so much, for all the help. I'll let you know the out come. It was Atlantic British I talked with Dave (ext 233) he rocks..

Old 03-27-2009, 07:41 PM
Three Wheeling

I just bought the Super Gaz kit from British Atlantic, with a Bilstein steering stabilizer for less than $650. Right now the kit is on sale AND you get free shipping. I wish I could vouch for how good it is, but I haven't gotten it in the mail yet. And call me crazy, but from the pictures I've seen around the internet, it is the same thing as the OME kit. I may be hallucinating, but I swear they are the same. I haven't found any evidence to support this besides the photos and specs being exactly the same. Anyone?

Old 03-27-2009, 09:39 PM
TReK

I talked to AB about the Super Gaz kit. They told me they are comparable to the OME but not as popular here in the states. Supposedly they are widely used over in the UK where they are made.

I guess you get to be the guinnea pig for the forum. Let us know how it works and if possible compare it to a OME kit.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:38 PM
Drifting

Mike,
I ordered the Springs you suggested, the 751's and the 762's , shocks, steering stabilizer. Will that give me 1.75 inches of lift or is it closer to 2.75 inches since these will lift about an inch higher (according to the readings I have seen?

1.) Do I need to change the brake hoses before I install all this?

a.) Not planning any real off road fun just so will be street rover still.

2.) Does anyone have a few pictures of this in progress for reference?

3.) What about the Drive shaft angles and such..?

Thanks

Doug

Last edited by Disco TN; 03-31-2009 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Forgot a question :)
Old 03-31-2009, 11:53 PM
TReK

When I installed the same springs you ordered I ended up with almost 3" of lift over my stock springs. My stock springs had settled so the OME springs compensated for that plus almost 2".

If you stay with 2" of lift, especially for on road, you don't need longer brake lines. Rover obviously intended for the stock suspension to articulate quite a bit so put long enough brake lines. I plan to put the extended brake lines on because I want to be able to flex my lifted suspension a lot.

I forgot to take pictures while I did my install, sorry. Any specific problems or questions you're having? You won't be able to use a spring compressor on the rear springs but unbolting your rear sway bar will allow the axle to drop enough to get the taller springs in.

With only 2" you don't need to worry about driveline angles. You'll be fine.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Drifting
Smile They are in !!!

My parts arrived last week, but the weather here has been the pits, so I called a few local garages and got some quotes, the first was $660 for install front and rea shocks and springs, the nest was $550 just for the rear, they where still adding as I back out of the parking lot. Like I have said in the past I am cheap so I started at about 8 am this morning and finished a little after 4pm I did stop for lunch, Really liked the test ride , it was awesome, my old shocks where "shot" they collapsed but did not extend... I didn't realize how much my coils had collapsed. Everything when well, there was a large learning curve but thats to be expected...

The down side is the D2 really stands tall now, in fact a bit too tall does not fit in my garage...uuurrgghhhh !!!

So with the money I saved by doing the labor myself I am thinking Snorkel..

Thanks for everyone's help

Quick Reply: Shocks which ones are good?