Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shop changed oil and coolant Free

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 04:19 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shop changed oil and coolant Free

Good Morning. We bought a used Discovery 2 with 180 thousand highway miles in October for $5000 cash. They did

Thermostat
Body hoses
Serpant Belt
Oil Change + Filter

We were insisted to use green coolant and Oil and Filter by the seller. He said never use the Pink Coolant ever and always use 10-40 Mobile 1 Synthetic only.

We got it back from the shop today they put in pink coolant and Quaker State w a small white filter. There was a black filter before. I told the shop what the seller told us. The shop insists they are wrong and if we use green coolant or Synthetic it will ruin the engine.

Does anyone know what to use? Sorry Im not a car person but the drive feels a little different. I tried to call the seller but hes not answering his phone.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Old 12-09-2019, 06:36 AM
TReK
Received 768 Likes on 636 Posts

Green coolant is usually recommended by most forum members. The type that most are emphatic about avoiding is the orange coolant. Not sure about pink.
Synthetic oil will not ruin the engine, but some people report that oil leaks form more readily with that than with conventional oil.

This forum has a lot of discussion on both topics, so you may want to search a little and do some light reading so you understand the potential issues.

Old 12-09-2019, 07:48 AM
TReK
Received 438 Likes on 364 Posts

regarding coolant.... as Mollusc writes there are many opinions about which is best to use.

No matter which product is used however, the MOST IMPORTANT thing to know is that DIFFERENT PRODUCTS SHOULD NOT BE MIXED!

If you change the product make sure a complete system flush/purge is performed prior to changing. Some products are not compatible and will react with each other to create a type of coolant sludge which can/will clog your radiator and/or coolant passages in the engine.

The following users liked this post:
mollusc (12-09-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 10:01 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

Alot of people who buy rovers will find that the seller is reluctant to answer the phone afterward. If they do its usually to say "sale was as is"

5k for a truck with 180k? I'm in the wrong business

Old 12-09-2019, 02:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

I went down a rabbit hole of watching vids about dexcool (orange coolant) and I'm no longer worried at all about it being in my truck with 217k miles on it.
The previous owner had a well respected Rover shop in Asheville NC do the cooling system work and they chose to put dexcool back in it, so I'm not too worried.

As far as oil - Search and read then form your own opinion. Its an understatement as to how complicated that might end up being.
Best oil is like asking someone at the gym what the best workout is

Old 12-09-2019, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

This was inside my 95 D1 which the seller listed as “AS IS” several times lol. Documents as far back as 07-12 mentioned engine tick/knock. They tried to sell em an engine or bearings. Well fast forward to 2019 and nah just some idiot dropped a valve cover bolt into the engine, ran it, realized they messed up, tore it apart, and replaced the head, but they left the damaged piston........ It knocked due to the top ring being split in half along with the lower oil ring...

I’ve slapped in a new piston, new lifters, I tore down the heads, cleaned all the valves, and lapped them. New HG’s and upper gaskets and the previous owners “AS IS” “PROJECT” vehicle will be as good as new if not better!!

Oil Wise I run Rotella & wouldn’t suggest synthetic as the seals will seep more. Coolant wise green is preferred, but some people swear by DexCool.

Last edited by Best4x4; 12-09-2019 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:31 PM
Received 1,146 Likes on 792 Posts

DexCool is an issue for certain gasket types and for mixing with other coolants, generally those thing have long been addressed. But if you off road, and go out on less traveled routes a lot green is simply easier, dex is not always available.

Old 12-09-2019, 05:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 428 Likes on 272 Posts

There are many many reasons not to use Dex-Cool, most of which are corroborated with GM's lawsuit with Halvoline about the way they misrepresented DC to them.

But if that weren't enough, at the end of the day, no benefits exist using DC over Prestone, Zerex, BMW, etc., so why use it at all? If there's even a 1% risk of DC clogging up your cooling system components and there isn't for other antifreeze brands that work equally well, one should use the other brands.

Anecdotally, here's my Dex-Cool throttle body heater plate and radiator after 150K miles of the prior owner not changing it enough.

I use BMW antifreeze. It's made for aluminum block motors.

The following users liked this post:
Banzai Jimmy (12-09-2019)