Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shot in the dark

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 11:21 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shot in the dark

hey guys,

here's the run down just got an 01 SE with 107 on the clock black/gray nice clean shape with new heads put on and everything that go's with it so it looks. Problems are 1: it has a misfire in #7 and low compression only #7 about 85-95 psi (no coolant lose or smell from tall pipe truck will not overheat) 2: sounds like a diesel new oil don't know what grade and truck was sitting for about 8 months bad gas? 3: small leak from manifold gasket #6 and #8 4: little things here and there no biggie but if any one knows where to get good parts @ a good price in NJ.

truck drives nice has pep off the line and misfire seams to smooth out with a little lag @ 50-70 Mpg. with the lag the check engine light flashes about 4-5 time and stays on. @ idle truck is off and on like an intermittent miss.

truck has blue wires don't know what type and plugs are denso yes denso in a LR? plug # 7 has unburned gas on it and shows some sighs of steam clean.

With that I'm at a lose don't know where to start or what to do I'm thinking about just getting a core block and building ground up and using the new heads just don't have all the cash and can't wait to drive.

Thank you in advance E.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:32 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Simple things first: check the spark plug wire on #7 and see if it is seated properly at both ends. It sounds like you have a bad hg job and getting coolant in #7. Test the coolant for combustion gasses. What does the oil look like, and signs of coolant mixing in? What does it start up like cold in the morning? Getting any white smoke when you start it?

Old 04-16-2011, 08:15 AM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

where in New Jersey are you?
here is my guy in the Philly area..
15 year master tech at west chester land rover before he went out on his own 2 years ago...
Rover Repairs
301 MacDade Boulevard
Collingdale, PA 19023
(267) 252-7548
Owners name is Frank.

Tell him Jeff sent you but only if you want him to add 20% hahahahah

Old 04-16-2011, 08:25 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't worry so much about the diesel sound. Many of them do. Mine does but she runs very strong. I think the #7 issue is separate. Just search around here for "tick" or "ticking" and you can see/hear what I mean. As mentioned, check that particular wire/plug and go from there.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:11 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

None of the good running D2's make noise, that is an issue you don't want to let go no matter what others may say. I hope you stole this truck cause it does have issues that will need to be repaired. How mechanical are you?

Old 04-16-2011, 09:46 AM
Winching

Yeah, what Mike said. Mine makes a faint tick depending on what oil I use, pretty sure it's a sticky lifter, but other than that and the ACE pump it's quiet even with 123k on it. If it sounded like a diesel I'd be worried. Diesel sounds are usually knocking from gas igniting at the wrong time. It will destroy an engine in no time. After seeing the post from the guy with the melted piston, I'd tread lightly.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:01 AM
7th Gear

thank you for your fast replies. 1st no coolant in oil at all and oil is clean like it came out the bottle at cold starts haft and haft runs like a dream and so times like crap with out any white smoke. just gonna recheck codes and get new plugs and wires ofter work today see what happens.

disco mike payed a little over a grand for the truck with tow and was thinking if i get to bad of a headache i can part it out and get my money back + then buy another. went in the truck thinking at least head gasket if not lower end rebuild but now i don't know what she needs as far as the engine. I know these trucks don't make a sound or move when engine is 100%. i can wrench had to sell tools years back but i got some friends that i can use there garage and tools.

I just wanna get truck on the road ASAP but don't wanna make thing worse by driving truck f-up just cost more money.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The good thing is you don't need many special tools on these trucks. That is surely a big advantage!
Also, I know Disco Mike is light years ahead of me in knowledge, but I must respectfully disagree about these not making noise. They do. Granted, I'm not talking about banging and clanging...but light ticks and light diesel sounds (I'm not talking about a Caterpillar backhoe type loud) is the norm. I drove many of these while shopping... everything from 00-04 models with 65k-150K and they all sounded loud to me (which I why I kept on shopping). Some were louder, some were not. It is an old style engine... nothing like a modern car (especially luxury car).
My truck runs great, has 121K, doesn't burn a drop of oil and is now getting 15MPG with a heavy foot. And it ticks (although has been lessened lately).

Old 04-16-2011, 10:36 PM
7th Gear

I'm not trying to put anyone down but i think that the ticking, ticks or pops are from exhaust leeks from the exhaust manifold where it bolts up to the head or the cat flange and if the ticking gets better as the truck heats up thats do to the expansion of the metal. A good way to test this is when truck is cold start it up give it some gas and put your hand around the gaskets you will feel what I'm talking about and be careful that manifold is about 400-500F.

this one sound internal lower end but not bad I've seen worse that didn't have a miss like this and no check engine light on.

i just find it hard to believe that someone will put the time and money in this truck and overlook a deeper issue but it was bad enough to need new heads so you never know

i got rained out to day but got the parts.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:23 PM
7th Gear

OK guys,

put the new wire and plugs same thing misfire. i didn't read code that going to be next step. what else do i check