Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy a 04 Disco 2 ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 07:54 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy a 04 Disco 2 ?

A recent private sale came up for an 04 discovery II, i already have an 06 LR3 with 156,000 in decent condition . Am I crazy to consider the Disco 2 below ?
2004 land rover discovery 2
condition: good
cylinders: 8 cylinders
drive: 4wd
fuel: gas
odometer: 145000
paint color: grey
size: full-size
title status: clean
transmission: automatic
type: SUV2004 Land Rover Discovery II SE
145,000 miles
Well Maintained. Runs well.
No error codes. No SES.
Inspection good until 6/2018.
Black leather seats and alcantara. 6 disc CD. Dual (working) Sunroof's. Automatic Climate (AC is cold),
The headliner is falling in a couple places. I didn't care but 2 Sons in Gorham does these Center Diff Lock
2" Terrafirma HD lift (Shocks and springs)
33" General Grabber AT2's (plenty of tread left. like new)
NEVER OFF ROAD, the lift and tires were only installed for better driving in snow. My job requires that I get to work regardless of conditions. This thing is a tank.
Head gaskets replaced. At the time of the job, I used a kit from Atlantic British that included all bolts, and gaskets. You can see this on their website. At the time of the job, I had the mechanic replaced the following in addition to the kit: Front cover gasket, Bosch plugs and new wires, and water pump.
Recent front and rear pads and rotors.
Recent alignment and front steering linkages
Recent idler pulley and serpentine belt
Recent front crankshaft main seal
Recent Secondary Air Intake pump replaced
Recent replacement of Camshaft Position Sensor (ebay-working OE used part)
The frame is good. Keep in mind it's a 14 year old truck though.

Im selling this because I needed a pickup truck. Clear Title in hand. This is a great deal for someone looking for a cheap truck that is safe and great in the snow. All major concerns with Land Rover Discovery's have been addressed by me.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Crazy no, check it out carefully for rust in the frame though considering you are in Maine and that is a D2

Old 01-23-2018, 09:44 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Not at all. Make sure you get it warmed up and have a scangauge to monitor the temps. Check all fluid levels, inspect for leaks, etc. Check for codes with an OBDII tool, or take it to a LR Mechanic for inspection.
They cared or knew enough to go through Atlantic British for parts so that bodes well.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:12 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Vail
Im selling this because I needed a pickup truck. Clear Title in hand. This is a great deal for someone looking for a cheap truck that is safe and great in the snow. All major concerns with Land Rover Discovery's have been addressed by me.
Are selling the described vehicle?

If so this needs to go in the for sale section.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:26 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Crazy no, check it out carefully for rust in the frame though considering you are in Maine and that is a D2
He said the frame was still in good shape but had some surface rust, but it’s hard to say until you have eyes on the vehicle thanks for the input .

Old 01-24-2018, 06:27 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Originally Posted by number9
Are selling the described vehicle?

If so this needs to go in the for sale section.
Not selling looking for advice if it’s it a good buy or not .

Old 01-24-2018, 06:30 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by CollieRover
Not at all. Make sure you get it warmed up and have a scangauge to monitor the temps. Check all fluid levels, inspect for leaks, etc. Check for codes with an OBDII tool, or take it to a LR Mechanic for inspection.
They cared or knew enough to go through Atlantic British for parts so that bodes well.
Thanks for the input. If the temps are ramping up quickly is that a clear indication of trouble ahead or future engine failure?

Old 01-24-2018, 10:12 AM
Received 1,133 Likes on 782 Posts

These get warm fast - say no more than 5 minutes to operating temp. What is more critical are the temps when moving and stationary.

I have the grey 180 Thermostat in my 04 normal operating temp is between 186 and 194 depending on load. Generally cruising along on the hi-way 188 ish. Sitting at a traffic light between 194 and 197 after a hard climb off road sometimes I hit 199 if I stop. Pop into park give some gas to get revs up and back to the 194 -197.

This is normal for my disco.

If has a stock Thermostat you will run hotter up to 10 deg - still not a concern.

That is what you need to know, a 20 minute drive with a scangauge monitoring temps will give you an idea. Temps should be stable when driving 6 to 7 deg bounce is fine, if it is very hilly. 2 to 3 if flat.

Then around 6 to 10 if stationary for a long time 3 to 4 minutes.

But remember every truck is different

I could maybe wrong but I would suggest your temps should not exceed 210 ish when stationary for 3 to 4 minutes in Maine this time year.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,666 Posts

With a stock thermostat at idle it “could” get up to 210F in the south, but no more than 215F for sure 180F thermostat could get up to 205F at idle (I’ve personally had up to 209F in extreme traffic with the AC on). Different climates will have different results, but if it goes over 215F is when I’d consider something is wrong. Also before running it take the reservoir cap off and smell the coolant. It should not smell like gas!

Old 01-24-2018, 12:07 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Vail
Thanks for the input. If the temps are ramping up quickly is that a clear indication of trouble ahead or future engine failure?
The others have explained what temps should look like. I would just want to make sure the head gasket job was effective. Look at the oil, make sure it isn’t milky, and watch the coolant overflow level.

Quick Reply: Should I buy a 04 Disco 2 ?