Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SHould I buy this 2001 Land Rover Discovery SE 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 10:48 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SHould I buy this 2001 Land Rover Discovery SE 4x4

I'm considering buying a LR disco and found the below. I don't know what to look for as far as symptoms of know "genetic" LR problems.

What should I look out for?

Thanks,
Andy

2001 Land Rover Discovery SE 4x4--Leather--102K miles--Mint Condion! - $4900

No damage, No rust, No leaks, Non smoker, No rattling, really a nice truck in and out, solid on and off road and great to drive. Nice truck all around, 102K, clean title, no accidents, no damage, no rust, no problems at all Very clean leather interior, ice cold a/c with dual zone climate control, keyless entry with two keys, factory tinted windows, power seats and power sunroof, alloys, all wheel drive, 4x4, cruise, fog lights, rear storage bins, dual airbags, abs, hill descent, all weather carpets, all the toys. Fully serviced: new fuel pump, new rear struts, new breaks, full tune-up, new muffler and a/c service. Warranty included in the price:

Old 07-14-2010, 11:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Find out if the head gaskets have been done. Head gaskets can be a $1500 to $2000 repair. If they have been replaced, based on your description, it sounds like a nice truck at a good price. Phil

Old 07-14-2010, 11:13 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks,I'm checking on the HG right now.
Anything else to look for?

Old 07-14-2010, 12:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

man id say great price. I paid 4k for my 98 with 95k

Old 07-14-2010, 04:19 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would be concerned about those "new breaks", wtf have they broken?
Check if the service light is on, and for any other lights that stay on. Sounds good otherwise.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:05 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

That's a good price based on the description. Definitely ask about the headgaskets. Also, see if they have the "Passport for Service" with the owners manual. It is a book that the dealer stamps as they complete the regular maintenance. The 60k is the big one. Also, check the front driveshaft to see if it has been rebuilt with greasable u-joints. If not, that should be the first thing you should do if you buy it. Check for any leaks as well. Regardless of service records, expect to spend around $1000 when you get it. There are lots of things you will want to replace right away and a lot of service required as well. Take a look at the 60K service sticky from DiscoMike in this forum for an idea on what to expect. Check the coolant and see if it is green. If it is, make sure they did a complete flush before using the green stuff. If they give you a blank look, walk away. These trucks take Dexcool which is orange and Dexcool does not mix with the green stuff...it turns to sludge.

Last edited by humroot; 07-15-2010 at 06:06 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 07-15-2010, 09:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default keep looking

i would keep looking...my daughter got a 2000 for $3,800.00 and it need a leak in the roof fixed and o2 sensors and the regular bull sh$t..these POS need. She has had for a year and no real complaints.... We already new its a POS.... But i feel safe she is driving it compaired to a honda civic...great cars but i live in florida and 99% of the drivers here are from the jungle and drive for sh$t.... If you are mechanicly enclined and have money to rebuild what you bought...it could work out just fine.... if you think you are buying a quality piece of engineering and its as good as sliced bread ..you are in for a wake up call from hell....

Last edited by vandev; 07-16-2010 at 06:39 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:35 AM
3rd Gear
Default Thanks

I saw the LR. It was not mint. The interior photos weren't even of the same LR. 3rd row jump seats in photo, and storage bins in reality, other parts were missing too. It was a smokers car......Oh, yeah ...when I drove it there was a rear end low frequency vibration over 50mph and the engine cut out a couple of times under hard acceleration.

Another LR I saw was advertised as "like new" and when I drove it, it had leaky ex. manifold gaskets and the headliner was falling down all over.....among other things.

I guess I need a different dictionary when people describe their LR as Mint or New... I guess that means still drivable with all doors still on.

Thanks for all of your help!
Andy

Old 07-16-2010, 06:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default yougot that right..

Originally Posted by andetechinc
I saw the LR. It was not mint. The interior photos weren't even of the same LR. 3rd row jump seats in photo, and storage bins in reality, other parts were missing too. It was a smokers car......Oh, yeah ...when I drove it there was a rear end low frequency vibration over 50mph and the engine cut out a couple of times under hard acceleration.

Another LR I saw was advertised as "like new" and when I drove it, it had leaky ex. manifold gaskets and the headliner was falling down all over.....among other things.

I guess I need a different dictionary when people describe their LR as Mint or New... I guess that means still drivable with all doors still on.

Thanks for all of your help!
Andy

yep...all the mint ones are at the dealership...but i still would call them mint..there always a sour bit somewhere...although i did see a mint defender yesterday that made me cry...