Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 05:35 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy this?

Hi, I’m new to this forum, I’m planning to purchase a 2000 Disco II, 59K miles for $14,000 and I need some advises. First off, SUV is new to me, I have been driving Toyota all my life, but I need to purchase a SUV so my dog and I can go places together (snow/ beach). This particle car I’m speaking of has no physical damage and interior is in good condition. I didn’t see any oil leaking from the gasket. But because this car is approaching his 60K, I want to know what I should pay special attention to. Of course, I’m going to take it to a mechanic for inspection when I find the right one. This will become my primary vehicle, so it’s important I want it to be reliable and I commute about 50 freeway miles per day. OH yeah…..sigh…. no sunroof[&o], but would love to put one in. Good or bad experiences/ comments and any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 03-27-2006, 06:12 PM
Overlanding
Default RE: Should I buy this?

Congrats on the planned purchase. Sounds like a reasonable price and it's good that you're having a mechanic check over it. Gasket leaks would be my first concern but they should be able to catch that. Your Toyota would be a better choice for reliability but you probably already knew that.

For comparison, we just bought a 2001 SE with 58k for $14200 at a "major" dealership here in Atlanta. It's the wife's car and she likes it but I think the engine is a bit underpowered (especially merging into an interstate while going uphill).

FYI, the 60k mile service on these vehicles require a lot of items including fluid change outs and spark plugs. I'm doing mine piece-meal, but I've seen where dealers are quoting up to $1000 for this service. Spark plugs are easy to get to and do yourself, but the plug wires are a serious pain. Figure several hours for that task or around $300 at a dealership. Everyone seems to agree that keeping up with the service is the key to these vehicles.

For $14k, I'd try to get them to change out all of the fluids, spark plugs and plug wires. Couldn't hurt to ask!

Good luck, hope this helps

Old 03-27-2006, 07:51 PM
4th Gear

Thanks, by the way.....will gas kill me ? I'm so used to my little car.

Old 03-27-2006, 08:15 PM
2nd Gear

Hi! im new to this forum.

I just started working at a Land Rover dealership (in L.A.) not too long ago. I work as an Internet representative NOT SALES!!! I know NOTHING about cars (and Land Rovers) and I hope I can learn something from you guys (actual owners).

I would like to learn about Land Rovers from owners perspective (vs dealership). Thank you guys in advance.

Old 03-27-2006, 08:21 PM
Drifting

ORIGINAL: partypooperz

I just started working at a Land Rover dealership (in L.A.) not too long ago. I work as an Internet representative NOT SALES!!! I know NOTHING about cars (and Land Rovers) and I hope I can learn something from you guys (actual owners).

I would like to learn about Land Rovers from owners perspective (vs dealership). Thank you guys in advance.

You might want to think about posting in the new users section?

Old 03-27-2006, 08:45 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: justfred

ORIGINAL: partypooperz

You might want to think about posting in the new users section?
Youd think an "internet representative" would know that.

Old 03-27-2006, 09:30 PM
Drifting

ORIGINAL: Sobi Mobile

Thanks, by the way.....will gas kill me ? I'm so used to my little car.
Yes. But only if you drink it. I suggest Guiness instead.

Old 03-28-2006, 10:18 AM
Overlanding

I think the gas tanks hold around 24-gallons. Figure around $50 per fill-up and average mileage around 15 mpg.

Old 03-28-2006, 02:28 PM
Mudding

you guys are hilarious! ruthless but hilarious. Gotta wach what ya say