Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy this 99'? Had a mechanic check it out

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 11:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

Nice eye. I see the goo now as well.

It's weird... ALL 6 rovers I saw today had very low coolant levels... like 1/5th filled. Some of them filled back up to maybe 2/5th when the engine was running for a bit. Is this a big concern? I would think that this means there is a coolant leak somewhere - hopefully just the throttle body hoses - because who fills up a coolant tank to 1/5th? Should I do a full flush, including engine blocks, and bottom radiator plug, and refill? What coolant do you use? All my research doesn't point to a single conclusive truth. Atlantic British says OEM. Internet says NOT dexcool. Use some kind of green stuff?

Is SAI good? I did notice the jet engine sound.

I don't think I have to worry about my iPhone stereo - I'm sure other things will keep me busy for quite some time...

Old 05-08-2016, 01:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

When I bought mine, the coolant was lower then urs, I just topped it off with distilled water. It never went down after that. Few months later did the hoses and the 180 thermostat and I had green antifreeze. Ended up just running about 8 gallons of distilled water threw the system and then refilled with walmart supertech 50/50. Took all 2 gallons. 189 idle is great. Mines at like 195ish. 186 driving down the highway. With my old thermostat I was idling at 206 and highway was 197.

Looks good

I think all the D2s I looked at, not one had a functional key fob.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Good old green coolant is what I'm running in all of my 3 LR's vs Dexcool. For the throttle body heater plate you can either order the kit to fix it or bypass it completely.

Some people swear that you have it or your throttle is going to stick in cold weather. I agree/disagree. In extreme 30 below weather possibly, but out of all the vehicles I've owned only the LR's have coolant going to the throttle body. My wife's H3 Hummer with a 5.3L V8 has absolutely no coolant running to the throttle body and I've never heard of a single one sticking.

I consider the throttle body heater plate a weak link in the cooling system just like the hard plastic lines running to it and the radiator overflow port. I bypassed the throttle body heater plates on every single D2 I've ever owned. Here in TX even in a hard winter I'll never need it and it's one less thing to worry about on the cooling system.

I would order a new 180F soft spring thermostat from Lucky 8, along with their front drive shaft, and then just do a coolant flush and put a a 50/50 mix of green coolant in it. I'll leave the throttle body heater plate up to you, but you can order a kit to fix it or get about 10ft of 5/16 hose to bypass it and run a new line from the jug to radiator overflow.

The following users liked this post:
Jeff Blake (05-09-2016)
Old 05-08-2016, 11:52 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Congratulations on finding a Disco!

Old 05-09-2016, 12:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Very well done.

I think you played that perfectly. Saw lots, which meant you knew what you were looking at when the right one came along. Exactly how I did it. I haven't been disappointed.

Especially visiting shady dealers. They are great for showing you what to avoid, and training you what to look out for.

The engine bay looks incredibly clean. When you are happy it runs fine, and have done some servicing, you can start bolting on bits you don't really need

It's an SE so it should have an Alpine stereo. I would install a Grom unit for your iPod. Also answers the telephone for you, mic etc. Bluetooth. I just got mine finally hooked up and it's great. Post a pic here of the stereo first tho, make sure the Grom is compatible.

Pleased for you. See how bad that '99 looks now?

Jeff Blake (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 12:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
Nice eye. I see the goo now as well.

It's weird... ALL 6 rovers I saw today had very low coolant levels... like 1/5th filled. Some of them filled back up to maybe 2/5th when the engine was running for a bit. Is this a big concern? I would think that this means there is a coolant leak somewhere - hopefully just the throttle body hoses - because who fills up a coolant tank to 1/5th? Should I do a full flush, including engine blocks, and bottom radiator plug, and refill? What coolant do you use? All my research doesn't point to a single conclusive truth. Atlantic British says OEM. Internet says NOT dexcool. Use some kind of green stuff?

Is SAI good? I did notice the jet engine sound.

I don't think I have to worry about my iPhone stereo - I'm sure other things will keep me busy for quite some time...
Just re read properly. You don't worry about iPhone.

SAI is a bit of a PITA. Doesn't do anything positive you notice, and has loads of junk attached to the engine which can go wrong. Only possible to delete it if you start swapping computers as well. Not impossible though.

I use green peak 50/50. Easy to get, isn't orange. I didn't do any amazing flush when I switched (mine came with dex.) I drained through bottom hose, refilled with 50/50. Ran a bit, repeated about 4 times over a month until what was coming back to the bottle was the purest green (Blackadder reference). I monitored my temps all the time and didn't go above 199 ever. I'd switched to a 180 as well. I've since fitted an inline thermostat, the best medium skill mod possible, in my view. I've got 105k on original gaskets. Trying to run them as long as possible.

Re the level. You don't know if anything is going on until you fill it and keep an eye on it. Depending where you live you could bypass throttle body as you are going to have to play with it anyway, so it looks. I'm in NY, so have kept mine.

<--------- New Smilie?

Last edited by cappedup; 05-09-2016 at 12:50 AM.
Jeff Blake (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 09:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

You did play that well! Congrats. Looks like you got a nice one. So true on the dealerships!! lol. Flush with DI, and use Green coolant, just bypass your throttle heater. Looks like you have springs in the rear too, no ACE? Smart man on getting the Ultra Gauge, I got their horizontal mount (I think that's the one), and stuck it to the face of the drivers side ashtray, cord runs right down to the OBD2 port.

Jeff Blake (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 03:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

Very happy with this one over the 99' for sure.

Grom looks promising. I will look into it later. Thanks.

Ordered a bunch of stuff:
- Tom woods drive shaft
- Throttle body heater plate kit
- The 2 hoses that come out of the throttle body plate
- 180 thermostat
- various tools, clamps, etc

I went with Zerex G-05 coolant. It was on Amazon for $60 for 6x 1G bottles, free shipping. (
Amazon.com: Zerex ZXG05RU1-6PK G-05 Ready-to-Use Antifreeze/Coolant - 1 Gallon, (Case of 6): Automotive Amazon.com: Zerex ZXG05RU1-6PK G-05 Ready-to-Use Antifreeze/Coolant - 1 Gallon, (Case of 6): Automotive
) I did research and think its a good one to go with.

I have a small ticking coming from near the throttle body (behind it, closer towards the driver, I want to say engine, but I also don't, for emotional reasons) .. I ordered a stethoscope to pinpoint it.

My big radiator fan is also running all the time, no matter what the car is doing. Hm. Coolant flush and the new thermostat first, and hopefully that resolves it.

Last edited by Jeff Blake; 05-09-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

The fan is attached to the engine so it will always be spinning. Efan in front of radiator will turn on/off depending on the AC and engine temp. Change the oil with some 15/40w Shell Rotella and a larger filter like a Mobil1 M301. If ticking is still there it could be exhaust gaskets.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The D2 cooling system holds 2 gallons.

Quick Reply: Should I buy this 99'? Had a mechanic check it out