Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy this 99'? Had a mechanic check it out

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 05:00 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by binvanna
No, it's a bastard. It has an iron Chevy smallblock, and what looks like Dana axles. The rear looks Dana 44, but the front is not shown or mentioned except to say that the steering is loose and crap. Although a Dana 44 with aftermarket components is probably stronger than a Rover axle, it lacks full float and other good engineering Rover axles have. It's a downgrade. No doubt the transmission and transfercase are also some junk from Detroit, probably Spicer. The ad says its a Series 2, but it has the crappy plastic grill from a series 3. That's just what I can tell from the pictures.
Depends on what you are looking for. A Chevy engine and Dana 44s are a step up in my book. I called the guy and he would take less. He's out of funding and patience.

Old 05-05-2016, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Yep that Series LR will determine if you're a Genuine OEM LR guy or a guy that wants the looks of a LR, but the functionality of American parts. I prefer to keep it as OEM as possible without taking away from the LR finesse, but improving upon the original design/concept.

On the over the phone questions some people can talk a good talk, but seeing it in person and actually getting an eyes on/hands on approach is still going to be the best bet. I do agree however you can start to judge a LR's owner by texting them questions and examining their answers/response.

On my Kalahari the guy was extremely nice, but wouldn't send anymore clear pics of it, and he was extremely firm on his price. He said he bought it and strictly took it to the LR Dealership which was good. It had 221K on it when I went to go see it, so I was not expecting it to be all that great. It also had been on/off CL for at least 3-4 months. I figured it was a waste of time, but I was free one weekend so I checked it out. Upon turning into his driveway I was instantly in love with my Kalahari. It cranked right up from a cold start, interior was near mint, body was mint minus a tiny amount of faded paint on the roof that the roof rack covers anyways. He explained why he didn't need it, why it was for sale for so long (people were afraid of the mileage and CL deleted his ad a few times by mistake), but he maintained it flawlessly, and it showed. Everything worked, and after I said I'd take it I was invited inside for some beer's to celebrate. I still keep in touch with him and I update him on it's status. I paid the full asking price, and I didn't have to touch a single mechanical item/electric part. Just some TLC and fluid changes.

I had a great 4.5hr test drive on the 99 D2 for 1500.00. The owner arrived at the garage, signed the title and 130-U Form, and I handed over the cash and off she went. I trusted her, and my friend at the LR Shop in Austin. I checked the fluids, temps, codes, and off I went to Beaumont, TX non stop in a vehicle I'd never driven. Most people would call me nuts, but I love the adventure, and to me it's kinda like my very own Top Gear Challenge. I had my wife following me on the trip back home, but all was well.

Like I said my brother is in OR and he got back into LR's just before me. At the time I couldn't find a single decent LR down here in TX, so I was gonna fly up buy a LR from WA/OR area and drive it back to TX. In the end I waited and the 98 D1 popped up, then my Kalahari, and now the 99 D2. I wanted the adventure of the open road and the challenge of making it. I want to take my Kalahari up to OR to see my brother. I figure if I just go alone I'll camp at state parks along the way, eat nothing fancy, and just enjoy the drive and my Land Rover. Stopping off here and there and taking pic's and getting her tires dirty along the way.

The 98 D1 is indeed the one that an F250 rear ended. The body shops were so ignorant I would never let them touch my vehicle. They priced the rear bumper as nearly 2K due to it being an LSE with a Chrome rear bumper, and painted end caps. I showed them a tactical Rover bumper for 700.00 that needed no paint and they said it MUST be OEM parts from the dealership.... However I saw an LKQ truck in their parking lot and he walked in with a used steering column for an 06 Grand Cherokee. OEM my (_!_).... They also said my rear door was completely destroyed and needed to be replaced completely, and that the body needed to be pulled and that the paint would never match 100% as it was a unique and hard to match color...

The rear door opens/closes fine, Tire took the impact and I have one small crease near a hinge that is strictly cosmetic. I'd rather have the original paint, original door, original wiring, original alignment of the door vs a door that leaks, none of the electrical stuff working properly, and paint that wouldn't match and if ya scratched it you'd possibly see blue or white paint from a used door. I got an entire black rear bumper with black rubber caps vs painted for 65.00 and it matches the ARB black on the front vs the chrome anyways. License plate/Cargo Door Cover, and it was a done deal. It may have a tiny crease on the door, but it's close enough to me vs paying 4300.00 and letting a bunch of idiots attack my LR and me throwing 4300 away. No one not the insurance company or the body shop cared anything about an 18 year old LR. Had it been a 67 Shelby oh.... Completely different story. To me my LR's are my darn 67 Shelby!!

Last edited by Best4x4; 05-05-2016 at 05:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jeff Blake (05-05-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

2002 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY Series II * Westminster Package * This would be a good deal for cheap. Probably a bad fuel rail, injector, or fuel line. I can spot em!!

Near Portland, OR:

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/5571227009.html
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/5558155335.html

Last edited by Best4x4; 05-05-2016 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

Thanks for your offer about the brother in OR. I currently have a Greater Seattle circuit mapped out, with ~6 rovers to look at on Saturday. If I don't find one there, I'll do a Portland circuit next and contact you about the brother.

I feel good about this weekend. Starting off with a couple dealerships simply to get myself into more rovers. Was about to write off an '02 w/ 104k miles as the owner (private) was clueless and has only had it for 3 months, but he made an offhand comment about buying it from some rover enthusiast. Though he had no info on the guy, I was able to track him down with a couple data points - and the enthusiast said this is one of the better disco's he's ever seen/had, no mechanical issues. He fixed her up and flipped it.

With my ODB2 scanner in hand, and everyones help here... feelin' good! Thanks again.. will keep you all posted.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:37 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
2002 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY Series II * Westminster Package * This would be a good deal for cheap. Probably a bad fuel rail, injector, or fuel line. I can spot em!!

Near Portland, OR:

2004 Land Rover discovery
2003 Land Rover Discovery V8
That one in Fort Worth is probably a steal. Could fix it and drive it off the lot. Tempting!

Old 05-06-2016, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah it sure sounds like a simple fix to me Charlie.

Good luck Jeff and let us know how it goes!

Old 05-06-2016, 03:56 PM
Pro Wrench

Here's a rover you don't see everyday! Land Rover professional build overland vehicle

Old 05-06-2016, 04:02 PM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4

Near Portland, OR:

2004 Land Rover discovery
2003 Land Rover Discovery V8
I emailed that guy when he first posted the ad telling him he had a Westminster. He had no idea what he had. He's just looking to flip the truck. It would be a unique rare truck if all is in order. I almost considered buying it for parts since I have an identical Westminster, same year and color.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:01 PM
Pro Wrench

Good news! I'm a rover owner.

I saw 6 disco's today.

1. 2002 black on black. Private owner. 126k. $5k obo. This was my 2nd favorite. Had head gaskets done. Sagging headliner, remote locks didn't work, couple other issues. After I told him I bought one, he said he would have sold for 3.5k.
2. 2002 Kalahari Edition. Private owner. Super cool. Pretty beat up though. 116k. 3 amigos. $5k obo.
3. 2004 S. Shady dealership. $8k (got down to 7.2k). 125k. Dark grey on black. CDL was cool. Just wasn't feeling the car in general. Funny, I plugged in my new iCarsoft LR II scanner, and it threw the 3 amigos??! The dealer owner almost lost his ****. Restarted the car, went away.
4. 2003 Black on black. Dealer. $7k. Funny story here, finally found the car parked off deep in a corner (big lot). Rear was sagged to the bottom (air bags). The old guy salesman was pissed, because I guess it was about to be wholesaled, and he saw the wholesaler lurking around and was convinced he was responsible for deflating it.
5. 2003 Red on beige/tan. Private. 120k or something. private. ask $8.5k (got it down to under $6k). Aftermarket stereo, nav backup cam, custom subwoofer installed into one of the cargo bins. Wasn't a fan of the red, or the price.
6. 2002 grey on dark grey (kind of blueish interior). 105k. Private. This is the one that was vouched for by the seller of the seller, a rover enthusiast, who had sold the car to the current owner 3 months ago. $5.8k ask. Loved this one. It just felt right. Practically no issues I could find (slight sagging of the headliner), broken windshield (it's actually an original Land Rover windshield with the defroster, too bad ) I'll probably just replace with a regular one. Needs new tires at some point. Loved the body color. Bought it for $4.8k!! Drove it 60 miles or so home. Purred. Idled at 189F over 10 minutes in 70F direct sunlight and A/C blasting. No inspection done - my rover senses and your advice here gave me enough confidence to seal the deal.

Here's some pictures. It also came with the 2 jump seats, though its an SE. I think I'll keep the cargo bins.

First projects I have in mind:

1. Rebuild or replace drive shaft with greasable u-joints. Leaning towards replacing with the Tom Woods from Lucky8.
2. 180f thermostat w/ soft springs from Atlantic British
3. New windshield. Any tips? Get insurance, claim new shield?
4. I want to add some iPhone stereo support, but actually rather like the stock unit. Hmm....
5. Ultragauge ordered
6. Detail interior, wax, general cleanup

Old 05-07-2016, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

First off Congrats!

Looks good, but on the engine pic I think I see two things I'd address quickly. First it looks like the Throttle Body Heater Plate is leaking (I can barely make out some redish/pink goo by one of the hoses), second the coolant level looks very low. It could just be the pic or a shadow but it looks low to me. I'd certainly check it though just to be safe.

That is a Secondary Air Injection D2 so upon cold start up's if you hear a turbine sound for up to 30seconds don't freak out it's just the SAI pump.

Quick Reply: Should I buy this 99'? Had a mechanic check it out