Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy this 99'? Had a mechanic check it out

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 12:12 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
Thanks everyone for your fast input. Very helpful. My dad has been with the mechanic 12+ years. I even bought a blazer off him a ways back. He basically told me flat out, don't buy this rover... though he doesn't have much appreciation for rovers, and doesn't have a history of doing a ton of rover repairs. I don't think he'd even want to work on it.

Leaning towards no. Could be a fun project. It has all the goodies... the parts are worth it alone if the sale price is around $2k (which seems possible, owner wants to get rid of it, it's been on the market a few months, original ask was $4.5k)... but ugh... mechanically it just doesn't seem worth it. It's a shame, I love the truck. I don't see myself in any other truck/suv around this time period (boxy, rugged, yet luxurious) for $3-8k. I'd just hate to get stuck in Redding CA or something in 118F weather with a 4x8 trailer. Back to craigslist I go.
Random error codes sound like it may be an ECU acting up. Definitely needs some work, but might be okay around $2K with the extras.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:20 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Could be a fun project. It has all the goodies...

The thing is, the owner's daughter used the vehicle for a few years in Pullman, WA, making quite a few trips to seattle and back.
Would only consider at haggled price if totally rust free and excellent interior.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

I've only bought one LR Discovery I regretted buying and it wasn't because of the Discovery, but because right after I bought it the darn Kalahari I'd been hunting came back up for sale! I bought the Kalahari, and immediately sold the D2 which I had a hell of a time selling due to people acting like it's supposed to have every single service record, receipt, not have a scratch on it, drive like a new car, come with a full tank of gas, brand new state inspection/state tags, and still have that new car smell.....

I had to go have it inspected at a local auto shop for a possible buyer, and they came away telling me it had a rough idle, a misfire, and that the remote needed to be replaced. My D2 went in with no fault codes or Check Engine Light on, but when I went to pick it up I had two emission based faults. Dunno what those people did to my LR while they inspected it, but I will not go thru that again. Buyer tried to talk me down 2K for all of that. I said it has zero misfire faults, doesn't idle rough, and yes the remote needs a new outer skin, but it still functions.

I passed on his low ball offer, another buyer who knew about LR's came to look at it, appreciated how clean and original it was, checked all the usual known trouble spots which were perfectly fine, he drove it, and handed me over what I was asking. Then a day later the previous buyer called begging me to sell it to him again....

I think 2300 for an original good running D2 in clean condition is reasonable especially if it has an ARB bumper. I've paid on average 4K for my D1/D2's recently with the latest one being a steal at 1500 (thru a friend of LR Shop Owner). Normally the 1K to 3K Rover's here in TX are with trashed interiors, a blown motor, or a body that doesn't have a single straight body panel on it.

The following users liked this post:
Jeff Blake (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 01:54 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 184 Likes on 157 Posts

No rust.

Another thing, The front sun roof is acrylic and sealed fixed with silicone. Owner says he didn't have time to properly fix the leak. He has the original sun roof and says all the motors and stuff are fine. I believe him. That was going to be my first project until the engine issues came up.

When I checked it out the first day, the rear door wouldn't open, but the next day it opened fine. Weird. It wasn't stuck, both inside and outside handles simply flapped around with no engagement. Lock/unlocked via remote just fine.

Missing driver seat adjustment button on the console. Rear low parking break button doesn't do anything (the one to the left of the steering wheel, next to foglights). Aftermarket stereo. Has a defrosting windshield.

OK I'm back to being on the fence. If I can get it for 2k, play around and see what I can fix... if it doesn't work out it shouldn't be too hard to recoup a lot of that 2k. 2k won't kill me either. My main concern is getting the vehicle reliable enough for the 1,200 mile drive to San Diego. Not getting stranded in the desert is worth a lot more to me than 2k.

Also, owner said head gaskets have never been replaced. I find that hard to believe for a 145k engine? Thoughts? Could a newbie mechanic (but I am very handy) do a head gasket job? The part is only like $200.

Ah, forgot another thing. Mechanic said there were no misfire codes, however he thinks there was a misfire when driving.

Last edited by Jeff Blake; 05-03-2016 at 01:58 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:07 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by chubbs878
Did you check the tags to determine the last time truck was legal in CA? Make sure that your mechanic is confident he can resolve most if not all of these fault codes to get MIL online or you could spend more time and money than you had planned trying to get it to the point that it can actually be tagged, I.e. New Engine. Maybe ask yourself if it's too far gone. The seller may be aware of this and wanting to unload.
I thought only vehicles made after 2000 need to pass that test?

Whats an MIL online?

Old 05-03-2016, 06:40 AM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Jeff, I didn't have to do my head gaskets until around 150k miles. Just depends. While the price range of this truck is not unreasonable, in my opinion, all of the little things you mentioned make me think pass. Ideally I would be looking for something a little better cared for or one that naturally was just better. By that I mean some are garage kept and had owners who fixed everything. That was my case. My wife is the original owner before we met and her Disco is very well kept for a 2002.

I just think you will buy this truck and who knows if the to-do list will ever end. There are many fish in the Disco sea.

Jeff Blake (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 08:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Sounds like the owner is hoping someone comes, doesn't drive it enough to have the CEL reignite (he reset it before you arrived), doesn't pull codes, doesn't bring a mechanic, doesn't look further than the ARB.

How many Discos have you been to see? When you get past 3 or 4 you'll start to know what to look for to get a feel for the previous owners treatment of it.

Siliconed sunroof. Saying the codes arnt legit. Something is wrong with pretty much every department on this truck.

Move on. You won't regret it.

Knock him down $500 and buy it. You WILL regret it.

My $0.02

Jeff Blake (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 09:15 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by cappedup
How many Discos have you been to see? When you get past 3 or 4 you'll start to know what to look for to get a feel for the previous owners treatment of it.

My $0.02
This was my first one. I can't deny your logic. It's a bummer to spend $140 to check it out + $60 tabs (I'm a nice guy and bought his tabs to hold it for me) + $10 gas.... but I can't say I regret it. Now I know enough to probably pass on a vehicle like this by looking at it myself.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:57 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
This was my first one. I can't deny your logic. It's a bummer to spend $140 to check it out + $60 tabs (I'm a nice guy and bought his tabs to hold it for me) + $10 gas.... but I can't say I regret it. Now I know enough to probably pass on a vehicle like this by looking at it myself.
Are you sure the owners trying to pull one over on you? ARB, custom rails, I assume it's lifted. Told you the sunroof leaks but is willing to give you a brand new one. You also mentioned lots of other parts too. Not very often to find a custom rigs that still running in that condition.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:25 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Sam568
Are you sure the owners trying to pull one over on you? ARB, custom rails, I assume it's lifted. Told you the sunroof leaks but is willing to give you a brand new one. You also mentioned lots of other parts too. Not very often to find a custom rigs that still running in that condition.
I don't think he is. Though, he insists that the rig runs fine and shouldn't need much work.

What about the vibration around 30-45 mph? It can get pretty significant... like the steering wheel moves 1/4"-1/2". From my research I would suspect drive shaft, but it was just replaced last year with greasable u-joints.

Quick Reply: Should I buy this 99'? Had a mechanic check it out