Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy this 99'? Had a mechanic check it out

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 10:38 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
I don't think he is. Though, he insists that the rig runs fine and shouldn't need much work.

What about the vibration around 30-45 mph? It can get pretty significant... like the steering wheel moves 1/4"-1/2". From my research I would suspect drive shaft, but it was just replaced last year with greasable u-joints.
You mentioned not wanting a full time job of a vehicle. To me, this sounds like it might be it.

Everything is fixable. And in your part of the country the price might be right. But my thoughts are that there are straighter, better looked after, less headache inducing Discoveries for that price.

But each to their own. You know this one exists. Is it going to sell in 2 weeks? If not, go see some others in that time.

I can only speak from experience. I saw maybe 10 before deciding I liked the owner and records, and how original mine was to part with the money. Maybe I'm picky.

Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
Jeff Blake (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 11:37 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by cappedup
Sounds like the owner is hoping someone comes, doesn't drive it enough to have the CEL reignite (he reset it before you arrived), doesn't pull codes, doesn't bring a mechanic, doesn't look further than the ARB.

How many Discos have you been to see? When you get past 3 or 4 you'll start to know what to look for to get a feel for the previous owners treatment of it.

Siliconed sunroof. Saying the codes arnt legit. Something is wrong with pretty much every department on this truck.

Move on. You won't regret it.

Knock him down $500 and buy it. You WILL regret it.

My $0.02

Exactly.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 184 Likes on 157 Posts

This looks like a really nice one: 2004 Land Rover Discovery 4dr Wgn SE - Inventory | 82ND AUTO MALL | Auto dealership in PORTLAND, Oregon
Only 88k miles. Manual, too.

the 03' and 04''s worry me a bit about the 4.6 slipped sleeve issue. What kind of questions should I ask?

- Owner history, service records, carfax report
- Has the front driveshaft been replaced with greasable u-joints
- Any leaks, particularly coolant
- Has head gasket been replaced
- Any mechanic report available
- any ticking

It's a 3 hour drive away, so I'd want to cover my bases ahead of time. Also need to factor in WA state use tax, so about $500.

edit: nevermind. Called them. Likely needs a new engine soon - blown head. Sorry I'll be a little more thorough in my search before hitting you guys up again.

Last edited by Jeff Blake; 05-03-2016 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

This looks like a really nice one: 2004 Land Rover Discovery 4dr Wgn SE - Inventory | 82ND AUTO MALL | Auto dealership in PORTLAND, Oregon

the 03' and 04''s worry me a bit about the 4.6 slipped sleeve issue. What kind of questions should I ask?

- any ticking

It's a 3 hour drive away, so I'd want to cover my bases ahead of time. Also need to factor in WA state use tax, so about $500.

edit: nevermind. Called them. Likely needs a new engine soon - blown head. Sorry I'll be a little more thorough in my search before hitting you guys up again.
If it is a blown head gasket and no other damage those are the ones to get. I got an 03 with a blown head gasket for 1800. 200 dollar head gasket will fix one and give you an excuse to tinker. 88k is so low.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 184 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
If it is a blown head gasket and no other damage those are the ones to get. I got an 03 with a blown head gasket for 1800. 200 dollar head gasket will fix one and give you an excuse to tinker. 88k is so low.
The mechanic says the issue is inside the head, definitely needs to be rebuilt or replaced. He thinks $2,500 but I'm assuming thats only for a used motor, no installation.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:12 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vibration could be tires, you said they are run down.
You could check disk "run out" for any warping. If drive shaft is new could be simple fix with new tires, brakes rotors and balance.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

- any ticking

This 04' has some sweet Subaru/Toyota interior pics too!

I would never buy a used LR from a "pot" lot. Your just asking for trouble. Stick with private owners with some history on the vehicle. Broaden your search area, you may have to wait a bit to find the right one. MO

Old 05-03-2016, 07:12 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have never heard of a driveshaft causing vibration in the steering? A bad drive shaft vibrates the whole truck and remember, the drive shaft turns almost four times the speed of the wheels so it is a fast vibration. Sounds like tires. Balance or going bad. As this posting continues the bad column is passing up the good column on the tally sheet.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:25 PM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

The mechanic says the issue is inside the head, definitely needs to be rebuilt or replaced. He thinks $2,500 but I'm assuming thats only for a used motor, no installation.
$2500 is what it costs to pay a mechanic to do a head gasket job. $500 for a shop to plane the two heads, $2000 in labor and misc parts. That's what I paid a shop to do the job before I started doing my own work.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Yes DO NOT buy any LR from a small tiny car lot!!!! Stick with large dealerships that actually inspect and repair things before selling them (if they cost to much to fix the large dealerships send them off to the Auto Auction where the little guys get em, don't fix em, but ask a price like they did....) I prefer buying from individuals and if they seem clueless, careless, or they're selling it for a friend all I can say is RUN FOREST RUN!!!!!! You want to buy a LR from a fellow LR lover, and you can spot those pretty quickly and the reason for selling is they're moving, or the family has grown.

The following users liked this post:
Motorhead1 (05-04-2016)

Quick Reply: Should I buy this 99'? Had a mechanic check it out