Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I get the heads done?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 08:44 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should I get the heads done?

Was going to do the head gasket myself but heard by a independent Rover mechanic that I should also do the heads as well. Machinist said that hasn't seen a straight head in a Rover and has done alot.

Basically I don't have a lot time to screw with it right now but I want to maximize time spent on the return. Do I pay 2 g to get the gasket and shaved heads done. There is a small coolant leak near the heater inlet hose and indy said their is a small gasket made of cheap material that leaks coolant there.

It looks like coolant could be leaking there and not from the hose clamp.

Should I pay or wait. Nothing is overheating at this point.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Are the head gaskets bad? Is your coolant leak under the intake? That's a very common leak but, very very easy to fix. There is a whole write up in the "write-ups and how-to" section if you want to tackle it yourself. I did mine and Land Rover makes a specific kit for it. I think I paid something like $25 or $35 max.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Most likely the mechanic is not going to machine the heads himself. Contact the local cylinder head machine shop and see what they charge to check heads for flatness and plane them down as needed. They usually offer other services as well. You bring them the heads, about $200. Plus the $300 for you to get gaskets and new head bolts to DIY. Bolts can't be re-used. But don't jump into head gaskets if all you need is something small or the valley pan gasket.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:00 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by disc oh no
Are the head gaskets bad? Is your coolant leak under the intake? That's a very common leak but, very very easy to fix. There is a whole write up in the "write-ups and how-to" section if you want to tackle it yourself. I did mine and Land Rover makes a specific kit for it. I think I paid something like $25 or $35 max.
Yes the gaskets are bad but not terrible. I realize the coolant link is an easy fix but I want to do the heads if they need to be done now rather than later.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The cost of full service for both heads should be around $200, one day turn around. Get recommendations from others in your area.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:07 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Most likely the mechanic is not going to machine the heads himself. Contact the local cylinder head machine shop and see what they charge to check heads for flatness and plane them down as needed. They usually offer other services as well. You bring them the heads, about $200. Plus the $300 for you to get gaskets and new head bolts to DIY. Bolts can't be re-used. But don't jump into head gaskets if all you need is something small or the valley pan gasket.
I'll go ahead and contact local shop to see what they charge. I doubt the mechanic tells me who he uses.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

If you have a NAPA store ask them

Old 08-26-2011, 10:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle

You could probably ask around if you know anyone else who's had machine work of any kind done before and ask if they know of anyone who does a good job and actually CARES about the end result. Just don't let any machine shop tell you that it's going to cost you a million dollars for any reason. If it's going to be more than $200 I would go somewhere else. Good Luck!

Old 08-27-2011, 09:11 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

How many miles on the engine, did you over heat it up into the red light area?
If under 100,000 miles and have not overheated the engine, checking the heads with a straight edge and a fealer gauge is what is needed. If the heads are nor warped more then .004, leave then alone. If you are up over 150,000 miles then spend the money and have a complete valve job done.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
How many miles on the engine, did you over heat it up into the red light area?
If under 100,000 miles and have not overheated the engine, checking the heads with a straight edge and a fealer gauge is what is needed. If the heads are nor warped more then .004, leave then alone. If you are up over 150,000 miles then spend the money and have a complete valve job done.
DiscoMike, are you talking about replacing all the valves themselves? Just curious, I've currently got my heads off with 145,000 miles and was wondering if this would be a good option for me? Thanks for any help.

Quick Reply: Should I get the heads done?