Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I be a LR Disco owner?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 01:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by yosshaa
Gentlemen,
Here's my deal; I'm have been looking for a Land cruiser fj80 as a secondary vehicle, I'd like it to make road trips from phoenix, AZ to moab, utah, the grand canyon, to rocky point, mexico, etc. It needs to be happy with freeway speeds and road conditions without handling like a jumping castle. I would also like it to be somewhat off road capable, not a crawler, but I would like it to perform well without sacrificing drivabilty on the freeway.

What I'm I into: camping, snowboarding, hiking, hunting.
What I'm not into: rockcrawling, trying to roll a truck over, fighting an suv on the highway, small ***** jokes P

I have generally been looking at unmolested stock examples from 1994-1997, seems to be the range is $3500-$7500... stock, 220k plus miles, normal wear to (cracked leather) interior and faded/oxidized outside paint. The Land Cruiser group is the most proud group of owners I have met in my life, they have brainwashed themselves into think they have a collectors item on their hands. I've started to branch out to other options...

Namely this 2001 disco 2
2001 Land Rover Discovery II LE7 Ready for Adventure!
2001 Land Rover Discovery II LE7 4x4 Green machine ready for on or off roading. Automatic transmission, just under 119K miles. Cold A/C - excellent running condition with Grill Guard, lights and full Roof Rack. 7 Seater vehicle with high end name brand off road tires that have less than a few thousand miles on them. It has been lifted by 2 inches and has upgraded shocks. While it has a few dents and dings here and there as well as a couple of quirks but that's what gives it such great character. Clean title in hand. Just passed emissions in February of 2015

4900/obo. head gasket(s) were replaced at 110k, need to confirm if both or just one side. Still need to ask about front drive-train (propeller shaft?)

I am mechanically inclined I have built and restored a motorcycle and built a track car (honda) I can turn a wrench, maintenance doesn't bother me... to a point. oil changes, axles, brake pads calipers, etc is all good with me, head gaskets I can do but I don't enjoy anything related to taking the engine apart past the intake manifolds.

How labor intensive are these things to keep running as a secondary vehicle ill be looking to use maybe 3000 miles a year?
Any Land Rover will leave you stranded, frustrated, broke and eventually left with a vehicle nobody wants.

I have had many Land Rovers, my next purchase will be a Land Cruiser. There is a reason you can pick up a 2001 Discovery with 125k miles for under $3500 and can't touch a 2001 Land Cruiser with similar miles for under $13500. The Toyotas are better vehicles with more serviceable longer lasting components.