Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I sell it or trade it off?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 10:54 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should I sell it or trade it off?

I never thought that it would come to this, but the dream that is Land Rover ownership requires more time and money than I'm willing to keep throwing at it. I've reached a point where the romance was washed off and disillusionment is starting to set it.

An '03 with a history of oil pump failures isn't going to be an easy sale even with extensive work history and maintenance receipts. Edmunds private party value is about $8000. Ebay prices track much lower.

Trade in value maxes out at $7,000. Of course, getting the full amount would boil down to the price of the vehicle I was trading.

Generally, you're better off selling a car to a private party and then applying that money towards the new car. In this case, though, I'm not sure.

What say you?

Old 02-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

personally, trade it if the dealer will give you a good price. I could not bring myself to sell it to someone knowing they will have problems. If they know about the probs, they won't give you close to what you want. I wouldn't feel bad about sticking a dealer with it, though. They are paid to research the cars before.

There has been a guy trying to sell a nice 03 with a popped motor for 5K and people keep flagging it.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
personally, trade it if the dealer will give you a good price. I could not bring myself to sell it to someone knowing they will have problems. If they know about the probs, they won't give you close to what you want. I wouldn't feel bad about sticking a dealer with it, though. They are paid to research the cars before.

There has been a guy trying to sell a nice 03 with a popped motor for 5K and people keep flagging it.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide.
In order to keep the post short, I didn't mention that I had reservations about selling it outright. Even if I disclosed the potential pitfalls about it and buyer went through with it, I'd still feel bad despite the almost $5k I've spent fixing it up.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:46 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

if i were you i would keep it and drop an engine in it if you can afford to outright buy something else... or just trade it into a dealer and eat the loss you spent fixing it up.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:42 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by meltdowndave
In order to keep the post short, I didn't mention that I had reservations about selling it outright. Even if I disclosed the potential pitfalls about it and buyer went through with it, I'd still feel bad despite the almost $5k I've spent fixing it up.
I figured, but someone that could appreciate all that you have done will still not pay you for it... I used the guy with the blown motor as an example. The truck is worth $5K to someone like me. I can spend $3000 and have a really nice truck for $8. Most people won't and can't.

I think if you are looking to get rid of it, a dealer would be the best choice. Put it on Craigslist and see if you get any bites....

If you can swing it in any way, chuck it in storage. I got a nice D2 for $1K and a crappy D1 for $300. I don't have the time or cash to get to them right now, but one day.... These make great first vehicles. Solid as a rock and terrible fuel mileage so the kids can't run all over town.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:31 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Stick a dealer with it? They are a lot less likely to tell any buyer of any issues.
If you don't want it, see what the dealer will give you in trade (keep in mind they'll make up any extra they give you on the car you buy) then list it yourself for about $1,000 more.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The way I look at it or justify my rover is if I bought a new car the average payment is $350 a month.Thats $4200 a year plus maintenence.If I can spend less than that a year and drive my disco Im ok.So far Im ahead of the game.(Pounding my fist on wood very hard!!)

Old 02-24-2010, 06:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

A dealer wont sell it, they will ship it off to auction where it will wind up on a POS "Buy here pay here" car lot and some unsuspecting person will buy it because his girlfriend just had a baby and it is the only thing big enough in his price range and then the motor will let go and they will be back to taking the bus to the Health Department to get their kid immunizations and baby formula.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:36 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by devildog01
The way I look at it or justify my rover is if I bought a new car the average payment is $350 a month.Thats $4200 a year plus maintenence.If I can spend less than that a year and drive my disco Im ok.So far Im ahead of the game.(Pounding my fist on wood very hard!!)
Smart man, very smart man.

Meltdown-I feel you pain, but remember, they truck does not need to be perfect, just driveable.
Then when things turn back around you can get back to work on the long to-do list to make it perfect.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:37 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
A dealer wont sell it, they will ship it off to auction where it will wind up on a POS "Buy here pay here" car lot and some unsuspecting person will buy it because his girlfriend just had a baby and it is the only thing big enough in his price range and then the motor will let go and they will be back to taking the bus to the Health Department to get their kid immunizations and baby formula.

wait thats me!!!

Quick Reply: Should I sell it or trade it off?