Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side Air Bags Activating

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 04:59 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side Air Bags Activating

Hi everybody...
My name is Fernando I'm from Brazil and i Had a very bad experience with a LR3 here in Brazil. Let me try to discribe...

Here in my city sand dunes are very common and is also very common people riding on these dunes. Last saturday when I was i one of these dunes all side air bags were activated... Incredible... I was folowing a Ford Ranger and a Toyota Land Cruiser... There was people in the back of the ranger and none of them had nothing... I'm telling this just for you see that there wasn't any reason for these air bags explode...

I called the Land Rover assistance here in Brazil and they said that I was doing an improper use....
This Car is very uncommon here in Brazil, but we still have some dealers and they said that they never heard about this...

What do you guys think about this????

Thank you and sorry about my english mistakes

Fernando Diniz

Old 08-09-2007, 05:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Side Air Bags Activating

Wow that is scary. For a dealer to say your using your LR3 over sand dunes to be deemed improper use is ridiculous. They're not only wrong they're insulting Land Rover. I have not heard of the new LR3's doing this in the states and couldn't come up with an explanation for you. Does the warranty cover it? So they have sand dunes in Brazil!? I guess I always associate rainforests with Brazil, but it is a huge country.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:13 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sincerly... It's ridiculous.. and The LR3 here costs U$ 90000,00 because of taxes, that's why is a uncommom car... The warranty will not cover this.. I talked to the customer service and they said that I was doing a improper use... All the other cars can go to the dunes but the LR3 can't ( almost funny)...
In the owners manual they say that the air bags must go on just in a severe side impact or rolling the car... and you know wat... After this I just turn the keys and went home ( 180 miles from the dune)....

Amazing...

Thank you and stay away from the dunes...

Old 08-09-2007, 05:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What an embarrasing thing for Land Rover to do and a cheap cop out. I'd call back again and instead of telling them you were on dunes, just say they randomly went off. That's gonna be a pretty penny to repair.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:30 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

wow, that sucks. I wouldn't have thought they would go off like that. I would just get the trim pieces replaced and not have new airbags put in.