Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Silla Radiator question

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 06:28 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silla Radiator question

I am looking at buying a Silla Radiator but I know my 03 has secondary air and I don't know if theirs will work. They said it has a plug on the side for draining but it looks just like the secondary air sensor spot. Does anyone know if they will work or just get another brand? Here is the one I was looking at

SillaAuto.com - Lookup

Old 08-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I deliver lots of their radiators and never pick any up. (I'm a FedEx driver)
Secondary Air Injection has nothing to do with the radiator.
It is a emissions device.
How much do they want for a radiator?

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/PCC000710.cfm

Old 08-03-2012, 08:39 PM
8th Gear

Sorry but not trying to be rude, I know for a fact that the radiator does need to be setup for Secondary air for a sensor on the radiator. Even the one you gave the link to is setup for secondary but at least they post it on their site.The price is $160 shipped.

Last edited by Jed_Kent; 08-03-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:44 PM
Team Owner

No worries mate.
We're adults, be rude if you need to be.
How does the SAI plug into the radiator?
I dont know thats why I ask.
Are you sure its for the SAI and not for the trans oil temp sensor?

Old 08-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Team Owner

I dont see any connectors for the SAI on either radiator, can you point them out to me?

Here is a list of all the SAI parts, none of them say they go to the radiator.
http://www.roverparts.com/Nxt/search...very+Series+II

I'm just trying to understand how the SAI connects to the radiator, its just a air pump for the exhaust.
Help me out bro.

Last edited by Spike555; 08-03-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:56 PM
8th Gear

Check here,
For secondary you install temp switch in the plug. for non leave alone.
British Parts of Utah-Land Range Rover Sport LR4 LR3 LR2 Discovery Defender Freelander Genuine OEM Accessories Parts go to disco II and Radiator.
To me the plug on the silla looks the same but on the phone the lady said all she knows it that it is for a drain nothing more. She also said she had never had anyone ask if it was for secondary air or not so I assume it must be since I can't find anyone complaining lol. I think I will just wait until Lucky8 has some from the backorder.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
I'm just trying to understand how the SAI connects to the radiator, its just a air pump for the exhaust.
Help me out bro.
It's a sensor on the radiator. You can use an SAI radiator in either application, so most aftermarket are probably SAI compatible just so they don't have to make two different ones.

OEM SAI:
LAND ROVER PARTS - DISCOVERY II RADIATOR

OEM non-SAI:
LAND ROVER PARTS - DISCOVERY II RADAITOR

Aftermarket:
LAND ROVER PARTS - RADIATOR DISCOVERY II w/SECONDARY AIR INJECTION

Old 08-04-2012, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I'm with Spike, I can see how the SAI would use the coolant temp to test for conditions, but is there really an extra heat sensor?

From the shop manual:

The ECM checks the engine coolant temperature when the engine is started in addition to the elapsed time since the engine was last started. The engine coolant temperature must be below 55
°C (131°F) for the SAI pump to run.

Now there is a sensor near the bottom hose of the D2 rad (which would make some think it was a drain port). But that is for the heat sensor that the ECU uses to compare to engine temp and detect a stuck open thermostat. Guys who have done the inline conversion for stats and drilled too many holes in the flange have sometimes upset this, guess it would also detect a stock stat that had been drilled out.

But I think Spike is right, the SAI has no connection to the rad other than by software inside the ECU. And that mystery port may be for the rad heat sensor. See attached page from RAVE. The electrical diagram does not show another heat sensor.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 rad sensor.pdf (694.6 KB, 145 views)
Old 08-04-2012, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
But I think Spike is right, the SAI has no connection to the rad other than by software inside the ECU.
Then explain the two links I posted for radiators? One with a provision for an SAI temp switch and one without?

Also explain this switch:

Sensor Engine Temperature D2 W / Air Injection (Part # ERR2081) - Land Rover sending units from Atlantic British

And this description at yet another parts place of how the radiators could be different:

Land Range Rover Discovery OEM Radiator

Old 08-04-2012, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I have always trusted and appreciated you leading me thru the weeds.

I agree that your sensor looks exactly like the one for the thermostat monitor function. I just don't see it described in the RAVE under SAI (emissions). Can you point out this thermostat in the RAVE? I think it is connector C0424, but this is one that has no picture. It is on page 55 of the circuits diagrams. It goes to pins 635-5 and 635-21 of the ECU, which are described as thermostat monitoring sensor.

Here's some pages from the Bosch ECU manual that detail the monitoring thermostat, the same manual has the SAI stuff in detail, but no mention of another (third) coolant temp sensor.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 monitor stat.pdf (647.9 KB, 106 views)

Quick Reply: Silla Radiator question