Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Since we are talking about snow...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 03:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Default RE: Since we are talking about snow...

The Rover is the best skiing vehicle I've ever owned. Heated seats, great heating system overall for front and back seat passengers, heated windshields and mirrors...wonderful! Oh yeah, and permanent 4 wheel drive. However, on the subject of other drivers...

Last week it gotsuper cold here in Denver. The streets were REALLY icy around 10 PM on a Sunday night after a few inches of snow and my wife and Iwere driving along in the Rover doing probably 40 in a 45 zone.Meat headin a Jetta blows by us doing 55 or more and the light turns red ahead of us. I slow down no problem and we watch as the clown in the Jetta turns sideways and starts bouncing between the curbs like a pinball. Slides right into the intersection, misses 2 cars by about the thickness of his paint job and lobs it up on the median, high centered against a no u-turn sign. I stopped long enough to wave.

Dave

Old 12-21-2008, 05:41 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The polite thing in that case geotrash is to make sure the driver is ok, then drive off laughing at them. Or I like to charge idiots like that to pull them out of the snow bank.

I am always amazed how little snow it takes to shut down Denver. I think it's all the Californians that keep moving there to be ski bums. Nothing against Californians but I've seen too many that can't drive on dry roads, throw in some snow and forget it. Of course I firmly believe that no one place has a monopoly on stupid drivers, they're everywhere. I-25 through Denver is always fun when snow hits. You have the people that still do 85 like the roads are dry or the ones that panic and drive 10 mph down the interstate. It seems like there is no middle ground. I try to stay home when it snows in Denver. I have no doubts about my abilities to drive in snow and ice but I doubt the other guys. And usually the other guy is kind enough to confirm my suspicion that he's an idiot.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:56 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you guys think i can drive through a field covered with ice and snow and not get stuck? i am afraid that if i do i will get stuck. most of it is ice covered and when you walk on it it breaks through.what do you think guys? any bets?

Old 12-21-2008, 05:59 PM
Three Wheeling

spike555 did you do your delivery's in your rover? i see your not online did you get stuck?

Old 12-21-2008, 06:11 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

What is under the snow and ice in the field? And how deep is the snow? If the ground is solid under the snow and the snow isn't over the hood I wouldn't think you will get stuck.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Name:  IMG_2162.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  75.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2163.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  99.8 KB

Ni I did not make my deliveries in my Rover today, I took the van home last night and picked up where I left off yesterday at 7 this morning.
35mph winds and 6" of new snow kept most people home today so it was actually a pretty easy day. Only had 49 stops left out of my 165 from yesterday.
Tomorrow right back at it again.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:40 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Echoing EvilDuc's comments about Seattle Drivers in the snow.... Just got back from a trip to the store, and saw a chevy suburban cross three lanes of traffic through a cyclone fence and end up on a nicely landspaced mound..... only because they were going too fast... Everyone around here drives too fast in the snow and has absolutely no clue how to steer...

Old 12-21-2008, 06:58 PM
Three Wheeling

well first it is nothing but about one in a half inch of ice.on top of the ice very little snow in most areas as the winds are blowing it away in other areas were it then accumulates.so it could be nothing but pure ice and then one foot of snow on top of the ice it just depends on were i decide to drive.by the way it is solid ground underneath.will i be spinning tires on the ice or am i going to drive on through with ease. i just wanna have a little fun to see what this rover can do in this situation.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:03 PM
Three Wheeling

oh by the way spike MR O. do you think you will be able to drive through that? it looks like alot of snow. let me know if you drove through that or you had to plow it first.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:04 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Well you will just break through the ice.
Start off slow and only drive fast enough to keep moving. Put the transfer case in low before you start.
If the ice is really thick/strong it can do damage to your truck, if it is the really thin wind blown kind that I think you are talking about then you will be fine.

Quick Reply: Since we are talking about snow...