Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sitting for 7 years...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 01:17 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,507 Likes on 1,068 Posts

You obviously have a leak in the system. Typically when a system develops a leak the low pressure system shuts it down, and because R-134a is heavier than air no air enters the system until it is either purged or vacuumed. Because you vacuumed it, air has now entered the system. This becomes relevant unless you live in AZ because air has moisture in it and can contaminate the system, particularly the dryer which has dessicant in it designed to absorb moisture. I would connect some 134 to it and put some pressure back in the system so you can find the leak with dye or soap bubbles or a freon detector. Once you find the leak you can repair it. Once repaired pump it down and let it sit at 30 inches of vacuum for a day or more to boil any moisture out of the dryer. If you do all that quickly enough you might get away with not replacing the dryer, you won't know until you have a tight system and charge it. I would also consider putting 1/2 ounce to an ounce of refrigerant oil in with the charge.

Old 07-04-2020, 05:19 PM
Drifting
Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the help Extinct; didn’t realize I was working against myself by vacuuming the system down... How many connectors are there? Just trying to get an idea of how many o-rings I could potentially have to replace. Also, how do I add the oil to the system??

Old 07-04-2020, 05:26 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the help Extinct; didn’t realize I was working against myself by vacuuming the system down... How many connectors are there? Just trying to get an idea of how many o-rings I could potentially need to replace.

Old 07-04-2020, 08:14 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,507 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Don't worry about the number of connections, just charge it with some R134, soap all the lines and the compressor seal and look for bubbles. What equipment do you have for doing this work? Given it was sitting for 7 years, you may want to remove the pulley end cap so you can really soap in around the compressor shaft seal and see if that is the leak. As far as the oil, you can buy R134 with oil in it to add some oil charge.

Old 07-25-2020, 06:45 PM
Drifting
Default Lifted and looking good

Thought I’d show everyone how the Disco is coming along. Installed Terrafirma shock towers, steering damper, shocks and springs with 2” lift. Mounted 265/75/16 General Grabber ATX’s on the stock wheels. Was afraid ride would be rough and loud, but it’s perfect!

Have her running great after all the work I’ve done to her. Couldn’t have done it without the great information provided by everyone on this forum!

Perfect stance!

The following 4 users liked this post by jrjr5000:
CollieRover (07-25-2020), JUKE179r (07-27-2020), Richard Gallant (07-26-2020), Wheelspin (07-26-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 07:12 PM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by jrjr5000
Thought I’d show everyone how the Disco is coming along. Installed Terrafirma shock towers, steering damper, shocks and springs with 2” lift. Mounted 265/75/16 General Grabber ATX’s on the stock wheels. Was afraid ride would be rough and loud, but it’s perfect!

Have her running great after all the work I’ve done to her. Couldn’t have done it without the great information provided by everyone on this forum!

Perfect stance!

looking nice
heat kills keep those temperatures under control and monitored and hopefully it will last a long time

Old 07-25-2020, 08:10 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
Several kinds work, just common attic, wall, or hvac insulation ,and it's all easy to work with.
I've used this kind in several vehicles.
On the floor helps with sound deadening, and a little for heat.
But works really well above the headliner, as it isn't directly against the inner roof, there is more air space between metal and radiant barrier.
When you put it above the headliner, lay the roll on top of it, trim the edges and sunroofs and openings out, and use any type of silicone or liquid nails to attach it to the top of the headliner board. You only need a few small dots of adhesive here and there, just enough to hold it in place while you put the headliner back up.

Sorry, I have no pictures of the last headliner I put it above, but this is a good shot of what it looks like.
Hvac metal tape is good for securing it to floors just to secure until carpet and trim are down.
I am so jealous six-pack, it must be so quiet on there.

Old 07-25-2020, 08:13 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by jrjr5000

Perfect stance!
You've done a really great job!

Old 07-25-2020, 10:53 PM
Drifting

Thanks CollieRover.

BTW ended up taking it in to an A/C shop; felt kinda strange doing it since I’ve done all the work up to this point myself (with help from friends...). Mechanic I know says he does everything but A/C’s and transmissions himself; takes those to the experts. Glad I did; $135 later and a good dose of Freon and oil was all it took to lubricate the seals. Hasn’t leaked in a week and is cooling great!

mln01, took your advice on the headliner; stripped all the old fabric and adhesive, used Kilz, took one of the visors to Home Depot where they did a great job matching the color. Two coats of latex paint and it looks really good. Everyone that sees it thinks it’s the original headliner.

Tackled the sunroofs while the headliner was out; had evidence of a large leak on the front one and a small leak on the back one. Cleaned quite a bit of debris out of the system and found the old caulking was dried up and not sealing in a couple of spots. Removed most of it, then broke a plastic nipples off of one of the plastic reservoirs trying to get the rubber line off... Threaded a new brass fitting in and sealed the heck out of everything with new sealant. No more leaks! Greased everything up and put the headliner back. Good to go!