Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small Block Chevy Engine Swap for 2000 Disc II

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 03:40 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Small Block Chevy Engine Swap for 2000 Disc II

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNGhTUfZWY0

Old 11-13-2008, 03:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm good with my 4.0... no need to do a million miles an hour up a trail... take it slow enjoy the ride and your less likely to break your rig...
________
WASHINGTON DISPENSARIES

Last edited by discoxd; 08-15-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Rock Crawling

ORIGINAL: discoxd

i'm good with my 4.0... no need to do a million miles an hour up a trail... take it slow enjoy the ride and your less likely to break your rig...
Keep in mind Rover beefed up the driveline (transmission, T-case) for the 4.6 switch. Reliability should be just as important a factor as power in an off road vehicle.

Cheers,

Pete

Old 11-13-2008, 06:49 PM
Winching

ORIGINAL: Phototone

Not every state has emission testing anymore.
florida doesn't.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:57 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a swap that is done for the Defenders that uses the 6.2L GM V8
Diesel, its what they do in the UK for off road set ups.
Here we could do it here for on road also.

In the UK they say the hard part is getting the motor, dime a dozen here.
The Disco I has the same drive train so it could be done

Old 09-19-2009, 12:26 PM
3rd Gear
Default DISCO II v6 engine conversion.

I am so tired of reading threads responding to engine conversions in disco II's. I see a ton of them but then land rover guys just pick them apart and the end up not offering any info.

Land Rover guys (I am one). The engine is disco II's suck. I have had two disco II's and I have had 5 head gasket replacements (first at 65,000 miles). The first one I paid $3700 dollars to replace (I did the rest myself). I love these vehicles (the look, the way they drive, interiors, etc...) but the engines SUCK. Only a landrover guy (and I am one) would think that these are good engines.

If you want to see a good engine, I have a 1988 BMW (E28)with 375,000 miles that has had no engine work/all original gaskets and it doesn't leak a drop.

I am in the beginning processes of putting in a Buick or Chevy V6 into my disco II.

I've seen people ask, WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?

Because, I don't want to replace engine gaskets every 70,000 miles.

I don't want to get alot of responses saying, THAT'S NOT TRUE, I HAVE A DISCO WITH 150,000 and head gaskets are fine.

If that's your response then you haven't been around alot of disco II's.

ITS A FACT, their head gaskets need replacing every 70,000 miles generally.

If anybody can help me with this conversion, I would be pleased.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle

You should probably do a little research before you come on to a Land Rover forum bashing Land Rovers. I don't think you know why so many Disco IIs need head gaskets so I'll let you in on a little info. DIIs come from the factory with Dexcool coolant, which if it isn't cared for becomes HIGHLY CORROSIVE. The 3.9/4.0/4.6 (all the same) are a fantastic motor. I'm dumping mine for a diesel some day but that doesn't change the fact that that engine is a brute and can take a beating way harder than a lot of other engines can and will still come back for more.

Also why did you resurrect a thread that died almost a year ago to say something as inane as this?

Old 09-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by davidrod
I am so tired of reading threads responding to engine conversions in disco II's. I see a ton of them but then land rover guys just pick them apart and the end up not offering any info.

Land Rover guys (I am one). The engine is disco II's suck. I have had two disco II's and I have had 5 head gasket replacements (first at 65,000 miles). The first one I paid $3700 dollars to replace (I did the rest myself). I love these vehicles (the look, the way they drive, interiors, etc...) but the engines SUCK. Only a landrover guy (and I am one) would think that these are good engines.

If you want to see a good engine, I have a 1988 BMW (E28)with 375,000 miles that has had no engine work/all original gaskets and it doesn't leak a drop.

I am in the beginning processes of putting in a Buick or Chevy V6 into my disco II.

I've seen people ask, WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?

Because, I don't want to replace engine gaskets every 70,000 miles.

I don't want to get alot of responses saying, THAT'S NOT TRUE, I HAVE A DISCO WITH 150,000 and head gaskets are fine.

If that's your response then you haven't been around alot of disco II's.

ITS A FACT, their head gaskets need replacing every 70,000 miles generally.

If anybody can help me with this conversion, I would be pleased.
TESTIFY!!! LOL All kidding aside, good for you. I love my truck too, but there is merit to some of the things you say. I'll run my 4.6 until it takes a giant ****, and then I'll decide. In all actuality, I'll probably do another 4.6 simply because I don't think there's any real savings in the long run when you deal with all of the time and headaches that accompany the fabrication and glitches/conflicts when trying to put something where it wasn't designed to go. I've heard stories of conversions, but it typically is met with mixed results and costs an average of 15k to do. You could buy a lot of replacement 4.0 and 4.6 engines with reasonable miles for 15k.

Let us know what you do, and especially how it all works out.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:47 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by hazletbassist89
You should probably do a little research before you come on to a Land Rover forum bashing Land Rovers. I don't think you know why so many Disco IIs need head gaskets so I'll let you in on a little info. DIIs come from the factory with Dexcool coolant, which if it isn't cared for becomes HIGHLY CORROSIVE. The 3.9/4.0/4.6 (all the same) are a fantastic motor. I'm dumping mine for a diesel some day but that doesn't change the fact that that engine is a brute and can take a beating way harder than a lot of other engines can and will still come back for more.

Also why did you resurrect a thread that died almost a year ago to say something as inane as this?
\

Didnt' realize the thread was dead, just reading through and got worked up enough that I had to comment.

I'm an insider, I can bash discos. I love Disco(s) (I've had three). I also hate discos (the engine). I realize the coolant issue (Dexcool), however:

Other engines, you can change coolant type, change coolant infrequently, mix, they just don't give a ****. I've done this before in the past with chevy/ford engines. Just put anything in it that looks like liquid and the head gasket never blew.

So, this is simple,

if this engine is this tempermental about coolant, than it sucks.

You just illustrated what I mean, you'd have to be a land rover guy to think that its ok if you have to change head gaskets cause you forgot to flush the coolant last quarter.

Hell, I know guys that have NEVER changed/flushed coolant ever in their chevy's and they NEVER blow a head gasket.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:06 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Disco_Fever
TESTIFY!!! LOL All kidding aside, good for you. I love my truck too, but there is merit to some of the things you say. I'll run my 4.6 until it takes a giant ****, and then I'll decide. In all actuality, I'll probably do another 4.6 simply because I don't think there's any real savings in the long run when you deal with all of the time and headaches that accompany the fabrication and glitches/conflicts when trying to put something where it wasn't designed to go. I've heard stories of conversions, but it typically is met with mixed results and costs an average of 15k to do. You could buy a lot of replacement 4.0 and 4.6 engines with reasonable miles for 15k.

Let us know what you do, and especially how it all works out.
You are probably right and I could just do "another" head gasket replacement (I've gotten pretty good at it, I can do it in a weekend if I have some machined heads ready), but damn, I'm getting pretty tired of it.

I just want to put something in that I don't have to do some major job on at least for 4 years. Hell, if these gaskets would last that long (daily driver) than I'd be happy. But at the rate that it's going every 2-3 years I have to replace the head gaskets.

Also, it would be nice to put something in that had more room to work on (not that the discos don't, but for me, the more space in the engine compartment, the better).

I don't want anything powerful, I just want to complete this great vechicle and put in something really reliable (with nearly equivalent power).

Quick Reply: Small Block Chevy Engine Swap for 2000 Disc II