Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoke Emitting From Under Driver's Seat

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 04:29 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke Emitting From Under Driver's Seat

Hello,

This last weekend we had a cold snap and sure enough, my battery died, or so I think. When I got out to my vehicle, there was power to the keyless entry, interior lighting, etc. When I went to start though, it would make it maybe a half a turn and then quit while still having enough juice to power everything inside. I found someone to give me a jump however, it took a good 30 minutes to finally get it to turn. Once it started, it drove fine all the way home. The next day, I went to start it and sure enough, it gave me the same problem when it came to starting.

I went and purchased a new battery and installed it today. After connecting the terminals (no, I did not reverse polarities) I went to start it and the same thing happened. It wouldn't turn. I went back under the hood to check the connections and they seemed fine. As I walked back to get in it I saw smoke coming out from under the driver's seat. I quickly ran to disconnect the battery and make sure there was no power anywhere. I kind of freaked out and started pulling all important documentation out of the vehicle because I was afraid it was about to burn down. I tried to see if there was a fire but I did not see any flames. I pulled the seat cushion up and removed the panel at the bottom of the seat. I could definitely smell something had burned however could not see anything charred.

So, it is sitting in my driveway and I have no idea what to do next besides get it towed to a shop. What I would like is some insight from you guys as to what the problem may be and what you think my best options would be. I have never had this problem before and am a bit naive to automotive electrical issues.

Thanks in advance for your input.

2001 Discovery II SE

Last edited by GuidoTheDiscoGuy; 12-22-2009 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Forgot the Model and Year...
Old 12-22-2009, 05:17 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Pull the relay to your seat heater.
The elements inside the seat heater, like a toaster's elements, break and short out.
You can replace the seat heater or just pull thge relay and not have a warm butt.
The relay is under the seat.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:30 PM
4th Gear

Hey thanks for your input.

Why would the heater element do that if the switch wasn't on or anything? Also, I don't know if that would have something to do with the engine not starting.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:38 PM
Rock Crawling

The seat heaters are *very* high load items; the manual tells you not to run them without the engine *running* (though apparently it doesn't interlock them).

They're also thermostat controlled. If that thermostat failed ON, then it would cause both of your problems (smoke, and dead battery).

Old 12-23-2009, 07:49 PM
4th Gear

Ok...so what is the best course of action? Should I disconnect them and try starting it? And if so, is it a matter of pulling a fuse or the relay like Spike said? And where are the fuses and relay located?

Thanks

Old 12-23-2009, 08:07 PM
Rock Crawling

I believe the t-stat goes through the relay, so yeah, pulling the relay is best.

Go to www.landroverresource.com and you can grab the complete set of shop manuals, which will tell you which relay that is. It's 580MB, I hope you have a cablemodem. :-)

Old 12-23-2009, 08:27 PM
4th Gear

Awesome...so that is the only thing that could've burned under there then? As far as the electric seat adjustment motors, amplifier, and Trans ECU they should be fine?

Thanks

Old 12-23-2009, 08:44 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

When the heating elements break they short out and basically your seat heater is then on all the time.
The only thing that should have been damaged was the heater and maybe the cushin.