General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Smoke from under the hood.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 04:28 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Smoke from under the hood.

I have a 2000 Range Rover HSE, and for the last 2 days I have notice once I get through driving it and shut it off, smokes appears from the top left hand side of the hood, not by the lights, but up by the windshield. I told my mechanic and he came over and looked at but, he couldn't find anything, he checked for loose hoses and he didn't see any leaks, and of course it didn't do it again while he was there, but sure enough the next day it did the same thing. It looks like the type of smoke were something is burning. Today when I drive it home and once it starts that again, I'm going to pop the hood to see exactly where it is coming from.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:58 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have an oil leak at one of the heads it could be running down onto the hot exhaust manifold and causing some smoke after you drive it.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Oil leaks from valve covers are much more common, and can drip down to same place. They have 8mm 12 point bolts that need to be snugged up every oil change. Eventually the gaskets need to be changed, there is a metal spacer in the gasket at each hole, be careful those don't fall into the engine. Pix of 97 D1, note missing spacer. I found it, before it joined Elvis.

Also pix of the oil port location in the head, and it can leak external, it is the copper circle, which is a transfer imprint from the head gasket.

By my math skills, which are pretty rusty, the head gasket is a lot more expensive, and I hope that is not your problem.

Attached Thumbnails Smoke from under the hood.-p1050975.jpg   Smoke from under the hood.-p1130048.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 07-25-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:49 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Start up your truck and let it run out on your drive way and watch it till the smoke appears, then if you are not sure where the smoke is coming from, take some pictures and post them.
How mechanical are you, have you looked for any oil leaking, does it smell like oil, electrical smoke or sweet like burning coolant?

Old 07-26-2013, 01:25 AM
6th Gear

Well some time the oil which you dropped mistakenly on the engine bay is burnt then it make smoke. you have to take a look on the engine bay because its not a good sign. and also check the exhaust pipe seals.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:23 AM
4wd Low

My head gaskets were blown in November, I finally got that taken care of in March, so I don't think that is the problem. I just had an oil change last month, and the guy did say I was low on anti-freeze. Wednesday morning I put some antifreeze in there, and then later on that night it was smoking again after I turned it off. Yesterday morning when I drove it home from work no smoking, my mechanic friend came over later on yesterday evening and we let the Range run for about 15 -20 minutes and then took it around the block, came home and cut it off and no smoking. So if and when it happens again my mechanic friend told me to take a picture of where it is coming from and he will go from there. He did check and there were no oil leaks or anything, I was hoping that it may have something to do with me adding the antifreeze but it is not was not smoking from that side of the Range.

Thanks for everyone's input, I will let you'll know what the final outcome is.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

IMHO you would be wise to check coolant level when cold every day for a while. If coolant is being lost, you could easily damage the new head gaskets.