Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoke from engine + Oil leak = Help!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 04:34 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke from engine + Oil leak = Help!?!

Hi, for the first time I took my disco 2 for an 140 miles trip. It only did short distance and 50mph max since I bought it. I check the coolant and oil level regularly. The oil level was going down very very slowly and regularly, but really nothing bad. Hardly noticeable. No traces of oil on the pavement after overnight parking.

So for the first 70 miles, I decided to see what my Disco had in its stomach and drove faster than usual at 70mph, for most of the trip. All good, engine temp was good, always under 198F° on my UG.

On my way back, same average speed more or less, I decided to stop for a coffee. Coming out of the car, I could see some smoke coming out of the hood (WHAT?) and this is what I saw (video attached). Quite a bit of smoke coming out of the engine bay from the driver side. Only from the driver side. Sucks! Looked under the car, and I could see oil dripping slowly on the concrete.
Checked the oil level - down just above the "Add oil" indicator, from full three or four days ago. Of course I had coolant; but no oil.

So I drove below 2000rpm, under 50mph, for another 30 miles home. Parked the car. No smoke. Oil level still the same. Looked under and took some pictures to share here, cleaned up as much as I could to try to locate the leak tomorrow.

Any ideas or insights? Has driving faster may have caused for something to break? Any other reasons?

Any major risks in topping it up and driving to work tomorrow (4 miles - so short idstance).

Thanks for your help lads!

Pictures Below

Attached Files
File Type: mov
smoke.mov (4.53 MB, 94 views)

Last edited by TheKooksSociety; 07-01-2018 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

To me, it seems as though you've got a little oil dripping onto your exhaust manifold instead of onto your catalytic converter (which I think gets much hotter).

When everything cools down, maybe clean that area. Then run motor briefly, then let it cool, then inspect to see if you can tell the source of the leak?

It might just be a simple valve cover leak. Worth inspecting.

Also, I'm a huge fan of automatic engine bay fire extinguishers. I put one in my Porsche, into my daughter's Disco 2 (see link in my Signature below, no affiliation), etc.

The cheapest that does any good is the Elide Fire Ball for about $85 on Amazon. No wiring. Anyplace that you can squeeze it into your engine bay will be better than not having any fire protection there.

Amazon Amazon

*The AFO clone fireball is not recommended

Last edited by No Doubt; 07-01-2018 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:53 PM
Winching
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

You could have bad valve cover gaskets/ loose bolts. This will cause oil to drip down on the headers.

Old 07-01-2018, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,662 Posts

Check the 7/8 bolts on the timing cover/oil pump for where aux oil cooler lines would run. Famous spot to leak, and remember everything is going to blow back as you drive. Valve cover gaskets always seep so I doubt thats it, I’d say check the oil filter, oil pressure switch area, 7/8 bolts/plugs, and maybe the front seal.

I treat all my LR’s like old airplanes. Sure they seep, but keep up on pre-flight inspections, and have a small roadside kit handy.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:46 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone i’ll check some of these this morning!

Old 07-02-2018, 06:53 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Judging by the colour of the oil I reckon it's engine oil leaking out somewhere. Check your crankcase breather isn't blocked as it pressurises the crankcase and hence the oil system which doesn't help any leaks. Wash the engine down with degreasant and jet wash it off after 10 minutes but using the fan spray not a direct jet and then you can see where exactly it's leaking from.