Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow driving issues and TC disable

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013 | 07:37 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle

Yep everyone....I too think the TC does a good job and I'm glad it is there. I for sure am not saying get rid of it! As I said, I am happy with it 95% of the time. But, this is the only vehicle I have ever had that didn't allow you to defeat the system (cars, pick ups and SUVs). I have driven through all out blizzards with this Disco, and with the aid of TC was able to tow a couple people of out ditches, which I'm certain I could not have done without it.
I bought this truck a few years ago as my ski/snowboard rig and winter beater. So, much of the driving is done n the snow. I might be a bit too in tune with the cars though, and Mike might be right in a way that I'm used to other cars abilities in the snow. With that said though, I have been an instructor at teen driving events where we teach new drivers car control, over/understeer, the limits of their cars, emergencies, wet/snow skid pads, etc. Also, I do track events and racing. So no, I don't want you to think I'm trying to go all Tokyo Drift style with a 2.5 ton box, but if you ask any professional/race/rally driver if they prefer over or understeer, 11 out of 10 will also tell you over! You don't see many rally drivers wanting to push/plow into corners, they go around in a counter steer with the butt hanging out.
So, it is for sure one of those "to each their own" type things, but I do like more control over my rig. Some folks prefer lockers or cdl or other mods...but I would settle for just a button to disable the system every so often. Although, if I find a cheap enough setup I will put in the cdl lever.

Old 01-01-2013 | 07:59 PM
Team Owner

I dont understand why there is no over ride button for the TC either.
Every car/truck/van I have ever driven with traction control always had a override button.
The only one that was annoying was the Sprinter, the traction control could only be turned off under 35mph and would turn back on once you hit 35.
It worked to hard, it cut engine power if the braking of the wheels was not doing the job which really defeats the purpose of getting unstuck or climbing a slippery hill.

Old 01-01-2013 | 08:08 PM
Winching

Fuse or relay?

Old 01-01-2013 | 08:40 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by AdrenalinPlease
Fuse or relay?
I didn't want to go tearing into the fuse panels without knowing, but I figure if I put a switch that could just cut out the abs/TC relay when needed that could work to just cut power to it. I will have to dig into the RAVE electrical sections a bit. I dot want to mess anything up or compromise other systems if I do that. I figure there has to be someone else who has done this, especially those who do some serious mud runs where keeping engine/wheel speed is important.
And Spike, that is what has me scratching my head too. The worst one was on my wife's 09 CX9 she had. That one could only be defeated when put in manual mode, from a complete stop and in 1st gear. It too would turn back on, but at like 20. But, it was usable for getting out of a bind at least.

Old 01-02-2013 | 08:46 AM
Administrator

Don't waste your time, it won't happen. Besides, wait till you set up your CDL, you will most likely decide you like the combination.

Old 01-02-2013 | 09:16 AM
Camel Trophy

I am also upset that there is no TC override button, there certainly is with the RR Evoque. I have a DSTC button in my car, they don't tell you this but if you hit it 5 times in sequence it disengages DSTC completely. That's when I get to do stuff like this:

Old 01-02-2013 | 11:54 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Sure works well here in Denver when we have snow. I think part of the problem may be you lack of driving experience, with a Disco, on snow and ice, just a thought.
I too have a LOT of experience driving off-road, and in the snow, and about 1.5 - 2 Million miles on the road.

BUT, I found the Disco a bit different to drive on the snow. I will learn it very shortly though because I don't want to pack it into a snow bank any time soon.

The TC works amazingly, but I was able to get it into a 180 degree spin a couple weeks ago crossing a major highway (my wife was giggling because swear words kept coming out of my mouth). A little too much throttle through the turn and it started around, but because of the full time 4x4 and TC, I was not able to manually handle the rear end as I expected. It was also VERY Icy, but still no excuse. Again, I will practice this a few times in a parking lot so I know what to expect, and I'm sure I will love it.

I was more embarrassed than worried when it happened.