Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I bought a Disco and a week later it needed a engine!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 02:45 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

CC company does it for you, plus they hit you with a fee for the convenience.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:28 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great writeup and a good attitude, I myself may end up replacing my motor as well due to a ticking noise that has gotten louder. I spoke to a gentleman at Rover Cannibal? the other day, his motors were $5k, so yours is a better deal.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:00 AM
Rock Crawling

Agreed on discoboy's assessment. I've talked to several people in the U.S. (including Rover Cannibal) and have never gotten a good enough feeling about them to drop $4-5k on their rebuilt engines). I'd be interested to see how the OP's engine does long-term. If Turner's website is any indication of their remanactured engine quality, I'm impressed.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:38 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want everything in your garage.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Rock Crawling

FYI, for anyone looking into this as an option. I just received an email from Turner after requesting a quote. They cannot currently provide long blocks (or stripped engines as they call them) with secondary air. They do not have a supply of secondary air-equipped cylinder heads. They can of course supply a short block assembly.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:21 AM
Winching
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan H
FYI, for anyone looking into this as an option. I just received an email from Turner after requesting a quote. They cannot currently provide long blocks (or stripped engines as they call them) with secondary air. They do not have a supply of secondary air-equipped cylinder heads. They can of course supply a short block assembly.
...but if you already have SAI heads, this shouldn't be too hard to work around, right? Even if your existing heads are knackered, given that you're ordering an engine, you're presumably a good enough mechanic to pull your bad engine, strip it of necessary parts, order another, and plan to install it all back, then you should be able to get the heads you need on your own...

Last edited by dcarr1971; 01-28-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:31 AM
Rock Crawling

Right of course. But my preference would be much like the OP, have Turner inspect, rebuild, and install the heads. I'm sure you could find a local shop to rebuild the heads, but I would take comfort in a company like Turner that deals exclusively in Rover engines doing the work instead. Plus, having them install the heads would be a plus so there are no worries about pre-mature HG failure do to a bad install on my part. But your methodolgy would work, too.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:22 PM
Drifting

The credit card company uses the current exchange rate of the day. Some companies will charge a handling fee. Others charge a % of the sale. Luckily mine does not have any charges for use out of the country. It really is a simple operation.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:30 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

This is by far the best replacement option I have heard of so far.
And if you take your old engine to the scrap yard I am sure you will get a few bucks for it.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:25 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
This is by far the best replacement option I have heard of so far.
What about a new short block from RPI?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Short-Engine-C...item230da18294

At about $4500 it is pricey, but you are getting all new parts. AB and BPUtah also sell new short blocks, I'm not sure where they source them from. I'm leaning towards a new short block rather than rebuilt.

Quick Reply: So I bought a Disco and a week later it needed a engine!