Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I bought a Disco and a week later it needed a engine!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 06:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

shameless self plug.... I have a reman engine in the parts for sale section of this forum. if you need an engine it's the best deal you will find

Old 01-31-2011, 08:41 AM
Three Wheeling

Any more pics or info. on the 911?

Old 01-31-2011, 10:19 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice write up. I would be so angry at the shop who gave the findings of the slipped sleeve. From all I have read, the sleeve doesn't have any place to go. Can't go down due to the lip and at the top it has to cut through the head gasket for any movement to occur. Hope you have much success with the Turner engine.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:33 AM
Three Wheeling

Great thread, and attitude throughout this! I know if I was in your shoes, I'd probably have beat myself up a million times and not handled this situation as matter-of-fact as you did.

Keep us posted with how the engine holds up! $5k for an engine professionally rebuilt, with flanged liners sounds like an amazing deal to me. If my engine ever goes south I'll definitely consider this.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:26 PM
Drifting

So far we have about 3K on the engine and it runs great. Between 2K and 3K it seems to really bread in. The power get better and the engine sounds tighter. Still have the small oil leak. It will get done with the next oil change. Third times the charm, maybe its the fourth?

This is my toy car. It was my daily driver for a number of years, but now its all for sunny days and some autocross.

Attached Thumbnails So I bought a Disco and a week later it needed a engine!-img_0280.jpg  
Old 02-01-2011, 09:10 PM
Three Wheeling

Nice choices, bbolin. This is pretty much what I'm looking to do. My D2 as a DD, and an older 911 for fun and sun. I'd be happy with just about any 911 made 1976 and later (galvanized). I am partial to the SC's, 3.2's, and to a lesser extent, the 964's. Would love a coupe. As a matter of fact, can I just borrow yours?

Old 02-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Drifting

Sure thing smoverstreet, swing by and you can run it around the block. We need to be careful or we could corrupt this thread into a Porsche story. That pic was taken on my way back from buying the 930. I picked it up in Dallas and drove it home. Thats was a good run. Only pulled over once. Idaho!

Attached Thumbnails So I bought a Disco and a week later it needed a engine!-img_0299.jpg  
Old 02-02-2011, 06:56 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by discoboy
Great writeup and a good attitude, I myself may end up replacing my motor as well due to a ticking noise that has gotten louder. I spoke to a gentleman at Rover Cannibal? the other day, his motors were $5k, so yours is a better deal.

Would not deal w/ rover cannibal. Do an internet search, you'll find numerous victims. I was almost one, a PITA to deal w/ IMO.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:02 AM
Drifting

I finally got around to having the old engine pressure tested. It had to be tested cold, I know this is not the best process, but its all I have. The engine passed with flying colors. The was no sign of sleeve movement. It looks like did a engine swap for blown head gasket. At least I learned a lot in through out this game. Now I have a extra engine to sell along with air injection heads. Let the fun begin.
Cheers

Old 03-18-2011, 02:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Well the good news is that you've got a new motor and that thing is probably going to last you a very very long time. That is such bs that the shop tried to burn you like that, definitely report them. Hell I would try legal action if you had a case. What a bad practice.

Are you going to tell them the results of the test?

And depending on your wealth you may just want to keep that old motor and just turn into a project and gradually rebuild the thing. You never know, you may need it some day.

Last edited by DiscoRover007; 03-18-2011 at 02:35 AM.

Quick Reply: So I bought a Disco and a week later it needed a engine!