Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So My Disco's A/C Blows On The Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Arrow So My Disco's A/C Blows On The Windshield

I've got an issue with a large portion of the airflow coming from my air conditioner blowing out onto the windshield as if using the defroster. Even when I actually have it set to only blow out of the vents.

Which makes what little air coming from the vents blow much lighter than it should.

What needs to be fixed?

Old 07-03-2011, 09:40 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the mode servo flew the coupe. Defrost is the default position for failures. If you have access to a testbook or autologic, you can force the motor in position and unplug it.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yup, either a blend door problem or a HVAC unit problem.
In the RAVE it tells you how to run a diagnostic test on the HVAC unit.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Spike555
Yup, either a blend door problem or a HVAC unit problem.
In the RAVE it tells you how to run a diagnostic test on the HVAC unit.
Where? Search on Rave doesn't even find HVAC :P

(Bump)

Old 10-07-2011, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

That would be workshop manual, "heating and Ventilation". In addition to proper fix, workarounds can include rolled up sweat shirt onver defrost ducts, forces air back thru other outlets, or bent coat hanger wire shoved down vent to force flap open. In lots of cars this is a rotten vac line (Detroit iron). Attached for D2, D1 similar.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
hvac.pdf (585.7 KB, 385 views)
Old 10-07-2011, 08:59 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Diagnostics
The ATC ECU performs a diagnostic check each time the ignition is switched on. To avoid nuisance fault indications
at low light levels, the sunlight sensor is omitted from the diagnostic check. If a fault is detected, the audible warning
sounds three times and the AUTO window on the control panel display flashes for 20 seconds. The ATC ECU then
reverts to normal control but uses a default value or strategy for the detected fault. Faults are identified by performing
a manual diagnostic check of the system.
A manual diagnostic check includes a check of the sunlight sensor, and is initiated by pressing and holding the AUTO
switch and the air distribution switch, then turning the ignition switch from off to on. The audible warning sounds once
and the indications on the control panel display illuminate. FC is shown in the LH temperature window and the results
of the check are shown as a two digit fault code in the RH temperature window. If a fault is detected, the audible
warning sounds three times and the AUTO window on the display flashes on and off for 20 seconds. If more than one
fault is detected, the fault codes cycle in numerical order, at 1 Hz. The audible warning sounds as each fault code is
shown. In low light conditions, to avoid false sunlight sensor fault indications, the sunlight sensor should be illuminated
with a strong light source.

Diagnostic fault codes and fault descriptions
Code Component Fault Default value/strategy
00 - No fault found -
11 In-car temperature sensor Open or short circuit 25C (77F)
12 Ambient temperature sensor Open or short circuit 10C (50F)Cooling fan permanently on
13 Thermistor Open or short circuit 0C (32F)
14 Heater coolant temperature sensor Open or short circuit 70C (158F)
21 Sunlight sensor, left output Open or short circuit No solar heating correction
22 Sunlight sensor, right output Open or short circuit No solar heating correction
31 LH temperature servo motor Open or short circuit Servo motor locked in position
Motor or flap mechanism seized
32 RH temperature servo motor Open or short circuit Servo motor locked in position
33 Distribution servo motor Open or short circuit Servo motor locked in position

Last edited by lordmorpheus; 10-07-2011 at 09:09 AM. Reason: fault codes
Old 10-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Well as an attempt for a quick fix just until I get the chance to actually do a proper fix. I tried the coat hanger, couldn't really get it to do anything. I'm sure mostly because I have no idea what vent to try and go through or where I need it to go to try and close/open what I needed.

Tried a rolled up towel shoved firmly on top of the windscreen vent as well, didn't seem to really do anything however.