Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SOLVED - Window stuck in bottom position

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2024, 02:48 PM
8th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SOLVED - Window stuck in bottom position

I've seen a handful of complaints and queries on the forum relating to front windows getting stuck all the way down once lowered, even after replacing motors and regulators. There have been some creative solutions from pool noodles to empty plastic bottles shoved in the bottom of the door to help prevent this from happening. Personally, the sound of crunching plastic every time I lower my windows in my (supposedly) luxury SUV makes me cringe, not to mention the possibility of clogging weep holes in the door panel.
Supposedly the window motors/regulators are self-correcting and able to determine full stops at top and bottom but that is evidently not always the case. I'd assumed positioning the replacement motors and regulators as close as possible to their forebear's position would prevent this from happening but I guess not?
So as the window is automatically lowered fully down the motor run out of gears in the regulator, resulting in the awful clacking sound you hear and will eventually burn your motor right up. You can see evidence of this highlighted in red in the photo below.

The regulator pictured above is a brand new replacement from Lucky 8 but you can clearly see the damage from the motor gears as it ran out of track.
Note the 3/8" hole in the regulator inside the red circle I added to the photo. This hole was existing in the driver's side regulator from Lucky 8 but not the passenger's side regulator from the same vendor. Don't know why. BUT that is the solution to the problem:

When you replace your regulators, bolt on three or four washers large enough to cover the last tooth in the regulator gear track as pictured above. The motor mount in the regulator will hit the washers before the gears have time to run out, acting as a positive stop. Do note that I only used one washer in the photo above and this solved the problem for awhile but eventually the motor mount's flanged edge worked its way over the singular washer and got stuck. I didn't take a photo of the fix but just be sure to use a few washer or a thick rubber washer of similar OD. Problem solved.

Last edited by danielpelt; 06-18-2024 at 02:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
XRAD (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 05:53 PM
TReK
Received 557 Likes on 483 Posts

I hope that lasts for you. I tried a similar fix that didn’t last. I tried the pop bottle too. This worked but as you pointed out, the crinkling sound is terrible. That’s why I tried a pool noodle. It has worked every time now for a couple of years as and is quiet. Let us know after a few months. I hope it’s a good fix.