Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sort of URGENT Engine Info needed CONNECTING ROD HOUSING BORE SIZE

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 07:15 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

the rings have nothing to do with the connecting rods, they have to do with the bore & pistion. i think their is something up with the terminological be used here.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:09 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
the rings have nothing to do with the connecting rods, they have to do with the bore & pistion. i think their is something up with the terminological be used here.
It was me. I don't mean piston rings and I am weak on internal engine terminology but I am learning. The tunnel through the bottom of the rods is what I am referring to (connecting, not push). Sorry Dro. The part that goes around the crank. He needs the normal value of that tunnel minus the rod bearings, and any acceptable value of ovaling.

He an I don't communicate well but I believe he is double checking the acceptability of my rods before getting it all back together. My crank had to be turned so I got oversize rod and main bearings.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:54 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
It was me. I don't mean piston rings and I am weak on internal engine terminology but I am learning.
Read through the overhaul manual.
Using the wrong terminology really confuses the issue and slows getting accurate answers. I was merely guessing what was meant and if I'd seen your reply to me before the other people replied I would have given you the cylinder bore dimensional specs and limitations.

The time spent reading the manual will be more than made up for in timely and accurate replies.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:08 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by antichrist
Read through the overhaul manual.
Using the wrong terminology really confuses the issue and slows getting accurate answers. I was merely guessing what was meant and if I'd seen your reply to me before the other people replied I would have given you the cylinder bore dimensional specs and limitations.

The time spent reading the manual will be more than made up for in timely and accurate replies.
I agree. My mistake in that post. I used the right terminology everywhere else, I think. I read the overhaul manual and then went through the whole thing with the machinist. That measurement isn't in there or the RAVE; not in general data, specifications, or the engine sections. I found some old threads on other forums expressing the same. It is new terminology to me and I've only seen a bare crank, cam, piston, lifter, etc once in my life and that was just a few weeks ago.

So Abran is trying to find an answer and i'm about to call Cannibal to see if they know--or I would be glad to have it from any source, Tom--but otherwise I'm just going to tell the shop to move to the next thing and hope for the best. The engine project has dragged on and I am well into my limited window for putting it and the transmission in... so I got in.a rush. Sorry. Lack of humility is not one of my faults. I wouldn't ask a question without looking first, and I wouldn't have a land rover but for the generous advice given by gurus such as yourself; wasting your time is not something I would do on purpose.

Per the shop, I need the connecting rod housing bore size (and maximum ovality in the event they are not perfectly round).

Last edited by Charlie_V; 08-21-2015 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:23 AM
Baja

Im totally lost, i'm guess this time; he is resizing your rods and want to know want the finished diameter of the rods should be? maybe?

Old 08-21-2015, 09:29 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by drowssap
Im totally lost, i'm guess this time; he is resizing your rods and want to know want the finished diameter of the rods should be? maybe?
Dro, he held a rod with no bearings on it and said he needed the spec measurement of the big loop that goes around the crank and how much, if any, that loop can be out of round. He called that connecting rod housing bore size and showed me several manuals giving that very measurement for chevrolet, Ford, BMW, and dozens of other kinds of engines. He said the crank in our engines is not a standard Buick 215 because it is larger and had heavier "weights" so he couldn't use the figures for other 215 adaptations.

He is not resizing them because he already had me find the bearings for them. I think he is just trying to make sure I don't need new rods before he puts them in.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 08-21-2015 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:58 AM
Baja

215 dimension will not work the crank size are not even close

Old 08-21-2015, 11:32 AM
Baja
Received 719 Likes on 624 Posts

"Sizing" the rods is the term my machinist uses.

The idea is that if there is any oval ness to the shape, they have wear.

The machinist at that point will take off enough material to make them round again, then the 2 flat mating surfaces are decked to make sure the circumference of the hole is correct.

So no amount of oval shape should be tolerable on a newly rebuilt motor.

Now, we just need to know the spec.

The following users liked this post:
Charlie_V (08-21-2015)
Old 08-21-2015, 12:08 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by abran
"Sizing" the rods is the term my machinist uses.

The idea is that if there is any oval ness to the shape, they have wear.

The machinist at that point will take off enough material to make them round again, then the 2 flat mating surfaces are decked to make sure the circumference of the hole is correct.

So no amount of oval shape should be tolerable on a newly rebuilt motor.

Now, we just need to know the spec.

That makes perfect sense. Thanks, Abran!

Old 08-21-2015, 08:53 PM
Camel Trophy

Hmm. Does anyone have a brand new connecting rod and a micrometer?!

Quick Reply: Sort of URGENT Engine Info needed CONNECTING ROD HOUSING BORE SIZE