Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound coming from dash, possible AC issue or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 09:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Sound coming from dash, possible AC issue or something else?

Hi guys for the past month or so I've been dealing with a peculiar sound coming from the right hand side of my dash. No it's not the water fall noise.

The sounds only occurs when I slow to a stop and brake, usually at stop lights. The best way I could describe it would be like a stack of CD's in a CD changer crashing to one side at a stop. It sounds like something plastic, or purhaps sputtering. But this sound is coming from the dash.

And no it's not simply junk sitting in my glove box moving around, I have tested that theory.

The AC currently works normally. Any suggestions?

Thanks as always

Old 12-09-2011, 09:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Thread Bump

Old 12-09-2011, 10:00 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

How about your How about your blower motor, you may have some junk sucked into it.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:05 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have something similar. It's a repetitive squeaking that only happens when lightly braking or at a stop with the climate control on. When the climate control is off it goes away so I've determined it's the blower motor. I had a leak that I since fixed that would drench the inside of the blower motor container so I'm guessing that it's just a result of the condensation from the leak that caused a bushing to corrode in a way that only causes it to squeak at certain angles that are caused by braking or when the vehicle is at rest.

I took the assembly apart to try and find a place to oil it but never got it apart enough to get to the squeaky area which I think is under the fan.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

There are two bearings on the motor, one at each end. The rear bearing is easy to get to after removing the two (?) bolts on the rear of the assembly and pulling the cover off. To get to the front bearing, remove the clamp on the wheel and with a pick or similar, pry the tab on the wheel which was hidden by the clamp. Carefully pry or tap off the wheel. The front half of the case can now be removed exposing the front bearing for lubrication.

3-IN-ONE oiled my blower bearings in the spring, and they are still silent.