Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buzzing sound coming from dash while driving

Old 08-03-2014, 01:41 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Buzzing sound coming from dash while driving

My truck has developed an annoying buzzing sound from somewhere within the dashboard. Hard to pin point it but I think its coming from deep within the dash near the climate controls. It seems to occur when i accelerate and maintain pressure on the gas pedal, then stops when I let off the gas pedal. Ive experimented with the climate controls, on/off and no luck. I removed the cassette tape and still no luck. I noticed 2 small cracks in the plastic near where the dash meets the windshield but I dont think that is the source because when i put my hand on the crack i dont feel any vibrations and the sound continues to buzz. I read that some members having luck cleaning out the tiny fan to the left of the steering column and I will look into that but i still think the noise is closer to the climate controls.

PS: No its not the drivetrain. I have a fully serviceable front driveshaft and the rear shaft has been rebuild. The sound is coming from the interior cabin and does not sound mechanical at all. Ill keep everyone posted on my findings.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I put headphones on and it's still hard to hear. There is a little fan by the mirror control that makes sound when dirty, but I don't think it would adjust with the throttle. I would open the hood and see if you hear it under the hood when you give it gas at the throttle body.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:36 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Jared9220
I put headphones on and it's still hard to hear. There is a little fan by the mirror control that makes sound when dirty, but I don't think it would adjust with the throttle. I would open the hood and see if you hear it under the hood when you give it gas at the throttle body.
Heres a longer video. I only hear the buzzing while driving, not while ideling. Only when im accelerating on the gas, when I let off the gas the buzzing seems to stop.

Old 08-03-2014, 04:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I can hear it a better now. It sure does seem to get louder around the stereo, but it may be coming from the T-Case shifter area I'm not sure. The fact that it comes and goes under load makes me think it's drive train related and coming from outside. I suppose it could be a loose bolt rattling under acceleration though.

I'm kinda at a loss here. Maybe try pulling the radio real quick and going for a drive to see if you can hear the sound behind the dash better.

Last edited by Jared9220; 08-03-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:35 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

It's hard to be specific but the only things I think it could be are either the fan motor (which you've ruled out) or the speedo. The only other possible is something wrapped around your drivetrain, like a piece of plastic. Otherwise I haven't got a clue.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:34 PM
TReK

problem solved. Turned out to be that tiny fan on the left side of the steering column. I only doubted it because the noise seemed to get louder near the heater controls.... i used some compressed air on the tiny fan and have not heard a buzz since and its been a couple days now. Thanks all. Glad it was minor.