Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spare tire swingaway for Greg Davis bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Good site thanks for that link

Old 01-15-2018, 07:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 184 Likes on 157 Posts

Good info, thanks. Looking at parts helps me wrap my head around what to do

Leaning towards ordering it from a fab shop, such as this one Swing Out Tire Carrier
and then having a welder doing the install. I need to research more options on whats out there first.

I'm thinking to have it swing open to the driver side, with a fold down table on the backside. Will compliment my cargo door fold down table nicely. The extra tabletop space will be good to have, as the coleman stove takes up 75% of my door table. Going to pass on the hi-lift and jerry can options.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:13 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

I have been planning on doing this for a few years and finally got around to it thanks in part to this thread. The rear door was already damaged prior to my ownership and was difficult to close. The tire is 315/75R16 which is obviously way too heavy to be mounted to the door. I looked into all the parts offered for sale but decided none were exactly what I wanted. I liked the bushings of the Iron Pig spindle and the dual shear bracket of the Comp 4x4 version. I also liked the idea of a sleeve welded into the bumper rather than welding the spindle in place. This will allow for easy replacement or removal of the spindle in the unlikely event in gets damaged.

After measuring numerous times I drilled through the top and bottom of the bumper using a 2" hole saw. Then using an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel I connected the two circular cuts. A piece of 2" OD 1-1/2" ID tubing was tack welded as squarely as possible into the cutout. The hinge pin is 1-1/2" diameter steel. The carrier pivot is 2-1/4" OD 1-3/4" ID tubing with bronze bushings inserted (which were removed and replaced with new ones after welding). The frame is constructed of 3" x 1-1/2" (1/8 wall) tubing and 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" (1/8 wall) tubing. I added a dual-shear bracket to the pivot point to increase the rigidity. I modified and reused the mounting bracket which had been installed on the door for the rim mounting. After welding and mounting the carrier frame, I was disappointed by the amount of flex/bounce with the tire installed. All the flex was in the bumper itself and not the carrier or hinge. I ended up making an additional bracket, which mounts in the stock location on the door, to anchor the carrier to the door. It also doubles as the antennae mount. All the weight is still on the bumper. Everywhere a structural bolt mounts to the bumper I installed a rivet nut insert for added strength and grade 8 hardware was used. I am pleased with the appearance and strength. Having to loosen 3 screw-in handles is a bit cumbersome to open the carrier but ultimately I decided it was more important to have it securely attached.

Attached Thumbnails Spare tire swingaway for Greg Davis bumper?-bumper-cutout.jpg   Spare tire swingaway for Greg Davis bumper?-sleeve-bumper.jpg   Spare tire swingaway for Greg Davis bumper?-hinge-mockup.jpg   Spare tire swingaway for Greg Davis bumper?-back-no-tire.jpg   Spare tire swingaway for Greg Davis bumper?-back.jpg  

Spare tire swingaway for Greg Davis bumper?-hinge.jpg  

Last edited by JohnHZ3; 03-22-2018 at 10:36 AM. Reason: corrected tire size
The following 3 users liked this post by JohnHZ3:
Jeff Blake (03-22-2018), longshot (12-08-2019), The Deputy (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 11:09 AM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

That looks really good.
Any full pics from the side?

Old 03-21-2018, 11:33 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
That looks really good.
Thanks. I will post a side view when I get home later.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:02 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
That looks really good.
Side views as requested

Attached Thumbnails Spare tire swingaway for Greg Davis bumper?-side1.jpg   Spare tire swingaway for Greg Davis bumper?-side2.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (03-22-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 10:09 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Are those Cragar rims?! I've been trying to figure out for years if Cragar 15s would clear the factory brakes!

Install looks awesome by the way.

Originally Posted by JohnHZ3
I have been planning on doing this for a few years and finally got around to it thanks in part to this thread. The rear door was already damaged prior to my ownership and was difficult to close. The tire is 315/75R15 which is obviously way too heavy to be mounted to the door. I looked into all the parts offered for sale but decided none were exactly what I wanted. I liked the bushings of the Iron Pig spindle and the dual shear bracket of the Comp 4x4 version. I also liked the idea of a sleeve welded into the bumper rather than welding the spindle in place. This will allow for easy replacement or removal of the spindle in the unlikely event in gets damaged.

After measuring numerous times I drilled through the top and bottom of the bumper using a 2" hole saw. Then using an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel I connected the two circular cuts. A piece of 2" OD 1-1/2" ID tubing was tack welded as squarely as possible into the cutout. The hinge pin is 1-1/2" diameter steel. The carrier pivot is 2-1/4" OD 1-3/4" ID tubing with bronze bushings inserted (which were removed and replaced with new ones after welding). The frame is constructed of 3" x 1-1/2" (1/8 wall) tubing and 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" (1/8 wall) tubing. I added a dual-shear bracket to the pivot point to increase the rigidity. I modified and reused the mounting bracket which had been installed on the door for the rim mounting. After welding and mounting the carrier frame, I was disappointed by the amount of flex/bounce with the tire installed. All the flex was in the bumper itself and not the carrier or hinge. I ended up making an additional bracket, which mounts in the stock location on the door, to anchor the carrier to the door. It also doubles as the antennae mount. All the weight is still on the bumper. Everywhere a structural bolt mounts to the bumper I installed a rivet nut insert for added strength and grade 8 hardware was used. I am pleased with the appearance and strength. Having to loosen 3 screw-in handles is a bit cumbersome to open the carrier but ultimately I decided it was more important to have it securely attached.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:46 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Are those Cragar rims?! I've been trying to figure out for years if Cragar 15s would clear the factory brakes!

Install looks awesome by the way.
The rims are 16". The previous owner told me he sourced them through Lucky8 about 5 years ago. Thanks for the kind words.

Old 03-21-2018, 11:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnHZ3
The rims are 16". The previous owner told me he sourced them through Lucky8 about 5 years ago. Thanks for the kind words.
Ah, bummer. That makes those tires 35s. Would you care to throw up some more pictures of your rig? Maybe make a post detailing lift, gears, axles, pros and cons, etc? I'd love at least some pictures. I've been planning on 35s for a while.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:58 AM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

+1
I'de like more pics and info on it too.

Quick Reply: Spare tire swingaway for Greg Davis bumper?