Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plug wires 00 disco

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 05:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spark plug wires 00 disco

I'd like to replace the wireset, any recommendations?

bosch, duralast (autozone) and taylor (pepboys) are all available in 7mm (stock size i assume)

but i was wondering if anyone makes 8mm or larger aftermarket upgraded kits precut? i know that MSD sells 9.5mm DIY kits but thats a pain in the *** and seems rather overkill.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle

update, i found these:

https://bputah.com/Disco2%20Parts/La...e_Set_STI.html

curious, why would you need to replace an intake manifold gasket to replace spark plug wires... somethin special about land rover motors i need to know for a normally routine service on any other motor ever built? haha

Old 03-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Three Wheeling

Read the "Write up" Sticky. There is a link with a turtorial on how to change the plugs and wires without removing the IM. You'll find a lot of service tutorials that will come in handy.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by grandkodiak
update, i found these:

https://bputah.com/Disco2%20Parts/La...e_Set_STI.html

curious, why would you need to replace an intake manifold gasket to replace spark plug wires... somethin special about land rover motors i need to know for a normally routine service on any other motor ever built? haha

Have you seen where the wires plug into the coils? Follow the wire back from the spark plug...

It is possible to do without removing the upper plenum, if you have small hands, and don't weigh 400lbs. There is a writeup on this site you can do a search for.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle

i didnt get a good look, i havent taken delivery of the truck yet. ive never seen a car where the wires needed any tools or parts removed from them to access, atleast not a stright on motor (maybe some of those damned nissan and honda micro cars), even my lt4 trans am whos motor sat half under the windshield could all be pulled off and put back on the front mount distributor with just fingers and some reaching.

i take it there are alot of things over or in the way of the routing maybe, but the wires cant be fed or pulled backwards from one point or the next through it all?

guess ill have to see, i didnt look where they went, just saw that there was ample room to grab them off the spark plugs while inspecting the motor in the parkinglot for leaks... i even remember thinking, wow, lots of room for rapid field repairs!

Old 03-03-2011, 07:26 AM
Rock Crawling

I have one Disco with Magnacore's...no issues. And I have one with the Kingsborn 8mm....no issues. Oh except the Kingsborn were like 70 bucks cheaper and i even picked red. As far as wire removal, it takes about the same amount of time for each process. I did the no intake removal and it went okay. Next time though, I'm removing the intake. If you do the intake removal you will need a upper gasket and they are about 50 bucks.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:14 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will see once you pick up your Disco that the coil packs are on the back of the engine very close to the fire wall, and then the drip tray is pretty close to the intake plenum which doesn't leave you much room. I have used both the Kingsborne, and STI wires. The STI wires are more pricey, but they are higher quality. You can replace the wires without removing the plenum, and if you are lucky the engine will not have secondary air which makes it a little harder as well. I was able to do my wires in about 30 minutes. I started by removing all the old wires first, then started in the middle of the coils with the hard to reach locations, and worked my way out. My hands are not small, but I am flexible, and just layed across the fender and engine to get in there.

Good Luck with the new Disco!

Old 12-31-2012, 05:05 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Just hoist the engine, take off the two motor mounts, then lower it. There is plenty of room to reach the coils then. Replace motor mounts and you are done.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:41 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You replying to a year and a half old thread???

Old 01-01-2013, 09:51 AM
Recovery Vehicle

lol think he is haha