Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spending my tax return..

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 02:50 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spending my tax return..

Well, my taxes finally came back, and I can afford to put some moneys into the rover. Unfortunately it has to be in the form of maintenance items instead of upgrades.

I'm doing front brake pads, an intake gasket kit to fix a small leak, and new plugs and wires. I've got the brakes, and gasket kit in my cart on atlantic british, but I'm a little hesitant on the plug wires. Part of me wants to upgrade to the magnecore 7mm wires, but the cheapskate in me wants to settle for the OEM replacements. So a little schooling on plug wires would be awesome.

Also, since I'm going to have the intake, and cooling system apart, I'm wanting to change out the Dexcool for something that sucks a little less. Is it possible to simply drain the Dex, and refill with another suitable coolant? If so what should I go with?

If you guys have any other input, or tips that would help me along I would more than appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Old 04-26-2011, 03:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About your plug wires: I believe from what I've read the direct replacement wires are too small of a guage and are cooked by the current and engine heat over time. I also believe the majority of the forum members would recommend 8mm magnacores. I don't mean to speak for them by any means, this is just the impression I get from what I have read. I'm sure someone with some more specific knowledge will chime in. Here is a link to another post with some more info https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...e-wires-24861/ Glad to hear you are taking care of that truck.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:24 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the info, and the link. If I could get a set of 8mm Magnecores for under $100 I would pick them up, but spending much more than that on a set of plug wires seems a bit unnecessary to me.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:37 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

look at kingsborne or STI 8mm wires they are cheaper

Old 04-26-2011, 06:46 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go to Kingsborne Wire Werks Inc - Spark plug wires, Automotive, RV, Motorcycle, Marine, Racing, Industry and get the 8mm wires, much cheaper and they fit perfectly. Don't get the magnacores simply because someone said so.
As for brake pads spend a bit extra on akebono pads, it's worth it. You can get them at amazon or search around a bit, there usual is some place a bit cheaper.
As for the coolant: drain, flush and fill with your favorite color.

Last edited by Bundu; 04-26-2011 at 06:49 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:30 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bundu
Go to Kingsborne Wire Werks Inc - Spark plug wires, Automotive, RV, Motorcycle, Marine, Racing, Industry and get the 8mm wires, much cheaper and they fit perfectly. Don't get the magnacores simply because someone said so.
As for brake pads spend a bit extra on akebono pads, it's worth it. You can get them at amazon or search around a bit, there usual is some place a bit cheaper.
^^^^ What he said! I have those pads and are totally impressed with how this pig stops! Remember, the AWD functions are only as good as your brakes with the TC on these rigs!
Also, just remember to really flush the system out good, especially if you are changing types.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:29 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tuck
Thanks for the info, and the link. If I could get a set of 8mm Magnecores for under $100 I would pick them up, but spending much more than that on a set of plug wires seems a bit unnecessary to me.
I've heard Autozone sells Duralast brand 8mm wires....

Originally Posted by Snafu / Disco Fries
.....the AWD functions.....
Land Rovers are Full-Time 4WD, not AWD (sorry, pet peeve)

Old 04-26-2011, 11:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
Land Rovers are Full-Time 4WD, not AWD (sorry, pet peeve)
x1000!!!!!
AWD is a term invented by the auto industry to differentiate between sedans with all wheel drive and true 4x4 vehicles with hi-lo range.
Don't call my disco a ****ing AWD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-26-2011, 01:26 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Bundu
Thanks for the Kingsborne link! $50 shipped for a set of 8mm wires beats the hell out of $100+ for the magnecores...

As for brake pads I just need fronts, so I think I'm going to go with these: Brake Pad Set - EBC Ultimax - Front | Brake Parts for Land Rover & Range Rover

If I drop the coin for akebono's, I want to do all 4.

It might be a horse a piece, but what would be the best coolant option for my rig?

Old 04-26-2011, 01:49 PM
Banned

EBC pads will be fine.
Coolant... what's your favorite color? Green, yellow, orange, blue...
You can go with any aluminum safe coolant - which is just about everything available today.

Quick Reply: Spending my tax return..