Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spike, Dakar questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 07:13 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default spike, Dakar questions

I have been trying to reply to your thread about the upcoming dakar rally, but gave up..I think the apostrophes in the title might be the problem..anyways..I looked on the dakar website and can not find a date or which networks will be broadcasting it. Do you know?

Old 12-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: spike, Dakar questions

VERY limited broadcast here in the US. Since we are full of sistermating redneck NASCAR fans nobody wants to air the race.

Speed Channel used to air it in 1 hour blocks, but then they went all redneck.
VS (Versus) picked it up and has aired it for the last three years with the 2008 race being a rerun of the 2007 because of terrorist threats against the enterants and the orginization.
VS shows it in 30 min blocks.

Check in is Dec 31st, race starts Jan 1st and with the 24 hours tape delay the first airing will be Jan 2nd, this holds true for every year.
The race is 15 days long so it will air from Jan 2nd to Jan 16th.
This year will not be a traditional race as it will be on at least two continents.

Now keep in mind that because the race will not go through North Africa this year it will be alittle boring as they will not be racing through Rommels WWII land mine fields.
In the past no less than 3 people have died each and every year due to land mines, crashes or pirates.

Now just to give you a idea of how much I am into this race...the Mitsubishi Montero has won every single year for the last 8 years.
Now in the pic that I included look at the back of my Montero.

Name:  DSCF3048.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  190.2 KB

Old 12-03-2008, 08:43 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Spike555

VERY limited broadcast here in the US. Since we are full of sistermating redneck NASCAR fans nobody wants to air the race.
The NASCAR season ended in November and doesn't start until February, so it shouldnt get in the way of the Dakar race. If you have direct TV you may be able to find it on one of those crazy channels. We have tons of racing fans in America, not all are redneck, but the market is HUGE you would think they would show it...

Old 12-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well hopefulling I will beable to watch it this Year. I owned a 1995 SR for 10 years ( great vehicle) just sold it after I bought the Landrover in Aprial.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:55 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NASCAR season is over until Feb. so that should not interfere with dakar..not all of us are into sister mating..I do not even have a sister. I pretty much like any kind of motorized sport..from dirt track to formula 1.

what kind of open wheel class racer is that on the trailer?

Old 12-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Team Owner

Cam, you changed your avatar, threw me off.
VS is the only channel that airs the Dakar in my area. Your area might be differant, *check local listings.

Even though the NASCAR season is over they still air all the NASCAR related stuff, track talk, tire talk, go in circles talk...big $ in NASCAR. I dont know what NASCAR will do once the big three go out of businsess though.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:03 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Spike555

Cam, you changed your avatar, threw me off.
VS is the only channel that airs the Dakar in my area. Your area might be differant, *check local listings.

Even though the NASCAR season is over they still air all the NASCAR related stuff, track talk, tire talk, go in circles talk...big $ in NASCAR. I dont know what NASCAR will do once the big three go out of businsess though.
I have never seen a sport grow as fast as NASCAR, its 2nd in popularity behind the NFL. Amazing. I actaully went to a race, and I was suprised at the people there, not as many rednecks as I expected! Lots of families, kids, ect.... I even got into it! haha and no, my neck is not red, yet.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:03 PM
Team Owner

I do not remember what class that car was, my wife and I went to Austin TX in Nov '05 to pick it up for a friend of mine, he bought it off e-bay for a parts car.
He rented the trailer, paid for my hotel and gas and he still made money off the sale.
Grand Rapids MI to Austin TX, drove through a blizzard and still made the hotel in Austin in 24 hours.
Got pulled over in 3 states and got three written warnings, still have them too.
In OK took the State Trooper 10 miles to catch us. He laughed and gave me a written warning.