Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport/normal mode button

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 11:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport/normal mode button

Has anyone compared fuel consumption differance between using sport vs. normal mode?

Willie

Old 10-23-2007, 12:27 AM
Mudding
Default RE: Sport/normal mode button

I haven't compared it but I read in the owners handbook that driving in sport mode will increase fuel consumption. So i use it as little as possible...only when passing or when I'm stuck behind a ridiculously slow moving bone-head (who wouldn't use the pull-outs) on a twisty mountain road likeI was this morning.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:02 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Willie,
If you want to increase your fuel mileage in town, drive in 3rd. gear for all the stop and go driving, takes alot of load of the tranny having to down shift out of 4th all the time. I have done this and had other try with pretty good results. Driving in sports mode only makes the tranny shifting more responsive.
How many miles on your truck, what octane gas are you using, when was your truck last tuned including wires? All thes will make a difference in your mileage
Also, what sort of mileage are you getting now, both in town and on the road?

Old 10-23-2007, 08:56 AM
Rock Crawling

I live in the city and commute to the suburbs for work, so I get a little bit of city/highway drivingcombined. I've tried both modes and there is very little difference in mileage, so I run sport mode all the time - I like the shift points better and it makes the underpowered disco a little more fun. You're already shelling out alot of money running premium (I hope), so you might as well enjoy it.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Driving an 04 and calling it an under powered Rover, you should drive a 4.0.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:35 AM
Rock Crawling

You got me there. Even still, my dad's jeep liberty feels like a 911 compared to my disco off the line. I do like the high-end though, getting on the highway I can get from 60 to 80 in a hurry. Also why I like the sport mode, winds it out a bit more.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Your Dad's Liberty is at least 1500#s lighter then your disco and has more power also.
The good news is your Disco can go where ythe Liberty can't!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-23-2007, 10:25 AM
Rock Crawling

Believe me Mike, I'd never trade for that thing. Well, maybe the reliability aspect but what fun would that be? Thanks to that extra 1500 pounds I yanked a light pole embedded in concrete out of the ground without so much as a wheel spinning.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:13 PM
Rock Crawling

My Discovery has 123,000 miles on it. I am using only 92 octane from Arco. I might be loosing some power there due to the 10% ethanol, maybe I should start using a different gas station. I just installed bosch +4's and Magnacore 8mm wires and a new filter. I have never had it tuned by a shop since I bought it at 75,000 miles. Synthetic transfer case oil. I still need to change the differential oil. Transmission has been flushed. New Maf and front o2 sensors at 90,000 miles. I will be changing the rear o2's soon.
My last tank ran 275 miles and I burned 20 gallons, 13.7 MPG. I think the new BFG 245/75/16 tires use a little more fuel. The most miles I havegotton out of a tank is 325 miles. I always have it in sport mode and I do run it in 3 rd. in town and speeds 40 and below. I think bogging the engine uses more fuel and causes carbon build up. Most of my driving is back roads and a little city.

Willie

Old 10-23-2007, 11:24 PM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll find the 92 doesn't have much if any Ethanol in it, that's why it says 'up to 10%'. Sadly we can't run the ethanol rich stuff, I may put an E85 kit in to run that, mileage sucks but 85% non-petrol would be a nice change for those of us that cannot run veg oil (non-diesel engines) but who'd rather not fund the petroleum industry and all that entails.

Quick Reply: Sport/normal mode button