Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spring Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 08:59 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Charlie you should be fine, I added 1" spacers because with my HD bumper and blue top battery I added about about 185 lbs to the front. Im not sure what the factory bumper weighed but I would guess 40 lbs so thats 145 lbs extra. Now Im adding a 86 lb winch so I needed the extra inch. You I believe will be fine. ZG is good on this sort of thing as well as other members so Im sure you will be given more insight. Did you do the HD of MD kit?

Old 01-27-2013, 09:36 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Yeah Charlie you'll be good. Wait a couple days/a week or two for the springs to really settle, measure, then decide what you need. All trucks are a bit different.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:32 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Yeah Charlie you'll be good. Wait a couple days/a week or two for the springs to really settle, measure, then decide what you need. All trucks are a bit different.
I installed the 3" Terrafirma kit (with 2+ shocks) from Justin after he corrected some misinformation, and changed to 33" tires that are 11.5 inches wide (Toyo Open Country M/T). My stock bumper was a bit bruised anyway, so I cut a fashionable angle on the ends, then adjusted the steering stops (losing a little radius, which I plan to regain with 50mm spacers). I also took the plastic rock sliders off, trimmed the back quarterpanel (where the metal backed the plastic rock sliders) and the corresponding part of the rear bumper--those changes make it look taller, by the way, and the plastic is basically useless to me. I failed to remove the plastic wheel well lining in front, but that problem worked itself out the first time I turned (my bad). No rubbing or problems, but I have not been offroad. I can tell that I need to replace the brake lines and free up the ABS lines; when the new tires were installed, they jacked the entire truck and the axles were hanging on the brake lines--I freaked and grabbed a couple of their floor jacks to support the axles before the HEAVY 33's were put on. I have SS lines coming (maybe today?) that are an extra 4 inches.

Overall, the look works and it rides fine.

In regard to the specifics of front/back, my truck looks normal without any coil spacers. I do plan to replace the front bumper for a net gain of about 60 pounds, and the rear bumper for a net gain of about 60 pounds, so I will reconsider coil spacers then, but the decision will be easy--just making clearance for the ridiculously expensive tires. I got 5 and had to modify the tire carrier (cut a notch for the rear wiper arm and moved it up one bolt. what a pain in the A$$!!!!! You have to remove the interior trim on the back door, fish around for nuts in the body panel... never do that again!!!!!).

Justin said the TF kit is a true 3" inches, so I would not need to make any major driveline changes for normal onroad use. He said some of the other kits, like RoverTym, are actually more than 3 inches and can cause binding and other problems.

Just to bring the conversation to a conclusion... Thanks for the input!

Last edited by Charlie_V; 03-19-2013 at 11:39 AM.