Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Todco spring spacers/lift question

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 01:00 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Todco spring spacers/lift question

I was looking online weighing my options for lifting my 02 Disco II and saw these spring spacers that range from 1" to 2.5". It says it comes with front shock re-locators but my question is what about the rears? Is this smart to do or would it be wiser to get a complete lift kit with springs and shocks. I am trying to decide which lift will give me the best ride without sacrificing off road capability. I love the stock suspension and how it just soaks up large bumps and dips and absorbs the shock. rather than bouncing up and down like other SUV's I just installed 265 75 16 treadwright guard dog tires a couple of weeks ago and want to lift it and still be able to maintain full suspension travel with these tires. would 2" or 3" be better. I am looking for recommendations for what is best because I don't want to skimp out or get an inferior suspension. I could use some guidance as far as which way to go. Thanks to all.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:06 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 2in todco lift on my d1, She rides fine for me...

Old 06-24-2011, 10:00 AM
Mudding

I am concerned on how it will perform offroad that is why I am a bit skeptical about the spacers.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Fitting longer springs is the same as spacing the bag on the rear.

It's the shock length that determines axle travel..............you WILL need longer shocks on the rear if you space the bag, otherwise the factory shock will "top out" in extended / offroad mode.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:04 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Urban Panzer
Fitting longer springs is the same as spacing the bag on the rear.

It's the shock length that determines axle travel..............you WILL need longer shocks on the rear if you space the bag, otherwise the factory shock will "top out" in extended / offroad mode.
Thats what I was thinking. I don't have bags though, mine is all springs. I have head that spacers are questionable for offroading but I don't see what would be the problem, as you are increasing the height either way whether you go bigger springs or spacers. Any input would be taken into consideration. Thanks

Old 06-24-2011, 06:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ah, ok, dunno why I got SLS spacers in my brain lol........

Anyway, spacers will provide a lift, theres no question about that.........but

You get the same upward travel as the spring cannot compress anymore than it originally did, its just helped by the spacer pushing it up.

You "technically" get less downward travel as the axle is already pushed down by 2" (on factory shocks)

When you fit spacers on the front, you MUST move the brake line fitting / mount back up again, other wise it will tear the brake lines when you turn lock to lock.

To regain the same amount of "down" travel, +2" extended shocks would be a good idea.

Something to also think about, although spacers give you the lift you may desire to get larger tyres under the arches, your still using saggy old factory springs which are by no means up to the job of coping with a heavy duty bumper and or winch. So if you add that additional weight, you will quickly "lose" some of your lift, so you may well find you end up buying better springs anyway....so the spacers become a waste of money.

If you never intend to fit a bumper or winch, then not a problem.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:01 AM
Mudding

Thanks. I am always looking to save a buck, however I don't want to compromise so I will go with the springs. My next question is which is the best for the buck. I plan on a steel bumper with a winch in the future but will not be carrying a big load often. Just the occasional towing or hauling, but not on a regular basis.